PDA

View Full Version : Design is what kind of art?

justsomedude
September 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Design is not art.

The word "art" is often misused nowadays, the same way "philosophy" is. Ubuntu has a "philosophy", Arch Linux has a "philosophy", your local bakery has a "philosophy".

Oh boy...

lyceum
September 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Design is the philosophy of art. It is art in the sense that the creative process is artistic. IF the design is good, you have good art, if the design is bad... well you get the idea. Calling design art is like calling the process of writing a song music. It is, but it is not, not really.

Genius314
September 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Unless the OP was talking about theme design, like drawing all the icons, buttons, and stuff? Wouldn't that be a type of art, just like there's painting, drawing, etc?
It'd probably be considered some sort of CG.

loomsen
September 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I like the philosophy allegory.

Tho, to me the difference is in the actual meaning. Classic art is a way of an artist to express himself.
Design in opposite to this shall interact with the customer. No matter if it's a car or the design of a bottle.

Design, imho, is sth like an artificial mask to pure functionality, tho intended to please or at least be useful.

Art however doesnt provide any functionality or usability.

But it can make the world more beautiful, at least more multifareous.

oldsoundguy
September 27th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Design is creativity with a purpose. The goal or what needs to be done is what comes up first and then the creative process begins on just how to achieve that goal. It can be aural, visual, or even practical engineering. It is AN ART but it is NOT ART in the sense that we all interpret. There is no interpretation of design .. it just IS once it has been created.

IE, I just finished designing a DIGITAL switching system to power a surround sound system with more than one digital computer source. Took it to a tech (my eyes won't let me do that work any more .. and it took tools that I did not want to invest in for a one shot deal.)
Brought the system home and it worked right out of the bag o crap!
Absolutely NOTHING artistic about it .. but the goal was met with DESIGN since there is nothing on the market like it!

BGrigg
September 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Artists turn their noses up at mere designers for putting reality before imagination.

Design is art where the creator and buyer agree on a price before hand.

Art is created by an artist on a whim that is in turn sold to someone who overcomes their fiduciary responsibility with emotion.

I am neither, but I know what I like... :)

MidsummerDreams
September 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design

:)

Applied Arts.