PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 530 (not N series) pre install questions

kavinsky
September 26th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 (it's not an N series I presume as it just says Inspiron 530 on the tower, box, and all documentation). It's the package with the 64-bit Intel Core2 Duo and Vista preloaded.

I wanted to dual boot with Ubuntu, so I downloaded the 'normal' Ubuntu 8.04 ISO and burned it to a disc. In live session mode, EVERYTHING works superbly except for my broadband. I use the Netopia wireless card that came with our service, and it works fine on Vista.

I just wanted to know if Ubuntu 8 will detect the wireless card after installation or if there is some other things I will have to do post-installation to get Ubuntu to play nice with it.

Also, am I using the right ISO for the non-N series 530?

Any help or constructive ridicule would be greatly appreciated.

kavinsky
September 26th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I should note that almost everything I've read on the 530 had something to do with the N series version.

prinknash
September 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 (it's not an N series I presume as it just says Inspiron 530 on the tower, box, and all documentation). It's the package with the 64-bit Intel Core2 Duo and Vista preloaded.

I think the Inspiron 530N is just an Inspiron 530 which comes with Ubuntu rather than Windows. Caertainly, mine (which came with Ubuntu) says Inspiron 530 on the case but also has a little sticker which says "n series".

I think you can load either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Ubuntu on this machine, although I stuck with 32 bit because it seemed simpler.

Can't answer your wireless question, I'm afraid, because my 530N doesn't connect by wireless.

p

kavinsky
September 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah, the wireless is the only thing that seems to not work with 64-bit Hardy 8.04, and I'd hate to install Ubuntu and not be able to update anything, etcetera because there is no internet connection. I am new at this, so I have no idea what version is best for the 530 or how to get my Windows drivers to be recognized by Ubuntu (or how to install them). The network connection I have is the Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 if that helps?

I'd also hate for Vista to not be able to load because of some weird bugged out mess. Things sometimes decide to work out that way, haha.

kavinsky
September 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It boots from LiveCD fine and everything (albeit slightly on the slow side), all installed programs work fine, the sound card works fine, no weird things happening with the display, it just doesn't recognize the network and I have no idea how to add that info manually.