View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant get Ubuntu to boot in Dell Dimension V400c

September 26th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ok basically iam completly stupid when it comes to ubuntu but i have this Dell Dimension V400c which ended up getting a virus way back when and the harddrive was ruined. So this is where i stand i have the Dimension with a new harddrive that is completly blank to the best of my knowledge. So i download the ubuntu program and i burn it on a blank CD, i pop it in the CD?DVD drive ( yes i no its odd for an older computer) and all that pops up is the old Dell screen that says www.dell.com at the bottom of it, after that all i get is the dreaded "Operating System not found"
So my question is what should i do now and please try to keep it simple because this is my first encounter with Linux period thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

September 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
It sounds like you either have a bad/incorrect burn or your computer's BIOS settings are off.

How did you burn the CD? You need to make sure you burn it as an image and not as data. To check this just open the CD and look at the files. Is there only an .iso file? If so you burned it as data.

September 27th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you BIOS is not configured to use the CD-ROM as the first boot device. On startup enter you BIOS and change it make make the CD-ROM the first boot device.

Usually the startup screen will say something like ¨hit DEL to enter setup¨

That will get you into you BIOS

September 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Ohh i get it then, thank you, i burnt it as data not an image ok well we shall try this again! Thanks again all