PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 Kernel 2.27-4 generic graphics fail

jcr2
September 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I'll try here.

I just purchased this Sager NP9262 Notebook to replace my desktop. Having three hard drives opens up the possibility of installing Ubuntu to give it a try.

I installed the x64 version of Ubuntu 8.04 and it seemed to work well other than the total inability to recognize the Intel PRO 5300 wireless card. After some thorough forum searching, the general answer seemed to be that it was easiest to upgrade to Intrepid Alpha 5.

I did so, and it seemed to work okay until I rebooted. The GNOME desktop graphical user interface no longer boots and I am left with a command line only. This happens if I try to start kernel 2.24-19 as well.

What kind of information would be needed from me in order to resolve this? The video card setup is dual nVidia 9800m cards.

Thanks.

WWSmith36
September 26th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Did you install any video drivers after installing intrepid

soxs
September 26th, 2008, 12:31 AM
ATI video drivers don't support xorg 7.4 intrepid uses,(yet). I don't know about nvidia ones.
Remove them and you should be fine.
To make allow you logging in again, do:
press <strg><alt><f1> when your PC finished bbooting
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
replace
Driver "whatever" in the Device section with
Driver "vesa"
save and reboot via
init 6

jcr2
September 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

No, I just ran the update manager and updated. GNOME failed to launch after the restart, so I never had the chance to install any video drivers.

soxs
September 26th, 2008, 12:39 AM
can you log in when pressing <strg><alt><f1>

so you can try to reinstall it:

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

and this still doesn't help, there is a brut force option, but this may brake some programs dependencies, so they get removed and not automatically instead

sudo apt-get remove --purge ubuntu-desktop gdm; sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gdm

jcr2
September 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM
It lets me log in. I'll give that a shot and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

jcr2
September 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Well, replacing the driver with 'vesa' in the xorg.conf file didn't seem to do much (it did say 'nvidia'), and when I attempt the reinstall command it tells me that reinstall is not a valid command. If I tell it to 'install' instead it informs me that I am already up to date.

There seem to be some pretty telling error messages popping up (something about vesa and v86d, making sure it is installed) but they go by a bit too fast. Being a total n00b here, is there a text log file of the boot output? I'm searching in /boot but not finding it.

If any further information is needed to get this working, I'll be glad to provide.

jcr2
September 26th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Attempting to start X11 using startx gives me the following:

Fatal Error:
no screens found.
giving up.

Not very helpful to me, but perhaps it is to someone else.

The Desert Fox
September 26th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I have a similar problem: Here is what I see in the sys log:
Glib Critical g_hash_table_lookup_extended assertion 'hash_Table != NULL' failed

ALso in gdm log i see:
Module ABI major version (0) does not match the screen version (1)
Failed to load module "dri"
VESA no valid monitor
Screens found but none have a usable config.

The Desert Fox
September 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Try this, it worked for me. go to the teeerminal and start aptitude. Update your packet list and install all upgrades. See if that fixes it. If not then try removing obsolete packets.

soxs
September 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Well, replacing the driver with 'vesa' in the xorg.conf file didn't seem to do much (it did say 'nvidia'), and when I attempt the reinstall command it tells me that reinstall is not a valid command. If I tell it to 'install' instead it informs me that I am already up to date.

There seem to be some pretty telling error messages popping up (something about vesa and v86d, making sure it is installed) but they go by a bit too fast. Being a total n00b here, is there a text log file of the boot output? I'm searching in /boot but not finding it.

If any further information is needed to get this working, I'll be glad to provide.

I am sorry, I mixed it up with dpkg
so just use "install" instead of "reinstall"

Edited that post according

Sef
September 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
moved to Ibex forum.

zoomy942
September 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
something that happened to me was this very thing when i used the JFS filesystem. my workstation and tablet pc did the exact same thing 12 hours apart from one another. I reinstalled to the ext3 filesystem and things have been fine so far...

so far anyway...

PGHammer
September 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
ATI video drivers don't support xorg 7.4 intrepid uses,(yet). I don't know about nvidia ones.
Remove them and you should be fine.
To make allow you logging in again, do:
press <strg><alt><f1> when your PC finished bbooting
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
replace
Driver "whatever" in the Device section with
Driver "vesa"
save and reboot via
init 6

For all except R6xx and newer, there are *three* different options (all included with Intrepid A6):

1. The "ati" driver (pre-Radeon chipsets)
2. The "radeon" driver (Radeon through R5xx/RV5xx)
3. The "radeonhd" driver (R5xx/RV5xx and eventually R6xx/R7xx).

X1K series can use either the "radeon" or "radeonhd" driver (radeonhd has faster 2D support, while the radeon driver has better 3D/DRI/Compiz support); I have the X1650PRO AGP in my Intrepid A6 setup; the configuration (default settings) uses the "radeon" driver. (For the first time in all my Ubuntu usage, which goes back to Feisty Fawn, I'm not running any proprietary drivers whatever.)

keenish27
September 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
For all except R6xx and newer, there are *three* different options (all included with Intrepid A6):

1. The "ati" driver (pre-Radeon chipsets)
2. The "radeon" driver (Radeon through R5xx/RV5xx)
3. The "radeonhd" driver (R5xx/RV5xx and eventually R6xx/R7xx).

X1K series can use either the "radeon" or "radeonhd" driver (radeonhd has faster 2D support, while the radeon driver has better 3D/DRI/Compiz support); I have the X1650PRO AGP in my Intrepid A6 setup; the configuration (default settings) uses the "radeon" driver. (For the first time in all my Ubuntu usage, which goes back to Feisty Fawn, I'm not running any proprietary drivers whatever.)

I have a Radeon HD2900. Would that be "radeonhd" ?

soxs
September 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I have a Radeon HD2900. Would that be "radeonhd" ?

You've got a quite good card and radeonhd is still in developement, I really suggest you to sue fglrx to get the horses from your gpu to your tft/monitor

keenish27
September 30th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Well apparently there aren't any working fglrx drivers for intrepid yet. I had to use "radeonhd" to see my desktop. I'll just have to wait for workign fglrx drivers before I can do anything 3d. Thanks for the help.

soxs
September 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Well apparently there aren't any working fglrx drivers for intrepid yet. I had to use "radeonhd" to see my desktop. I'll just have to wait for workign fglrx drivers before I can do anything 3d. Thanks for the help.

You can install 8.9 via the restricted mangers, but keep in mind: This will donwgrade X! I suggest you wait untiell endo of october and keep the hope 8.10 will support the new xorg release.

kronus
October 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I've just run into the same problem.

Upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10 beta, everything went fine, but I get dropped into a terminal at reboot. Ctrl+Alt+F7 brings me to a blinking cursor in text mode. I can log in, but trying to startx leads to the same error as the OP : no screens found, giving up.

I have an intel GM915 graphics chipset, xorg.conf had 'i810' listed as the driver, which is correct. Changing this to 'vesa' did not help.

Any ideas? The ubuntu liveCD I have is throwing buffer I/O errors :(