PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Netbookers???

jeyaganesh
September 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Do you really like netbooks? I prefer it would be touch screen instead of with conventional keyboard. I like Nokia tablet or rumored touch screen-iphone-like-mac book. Those things will over take netbooks in few years.

LaRoza
September 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Those things will over take netbooks in few years.

Predications in the technological world usually are always wrong. The reason why the keyboard is used is because of its usability and familiarity. It would take a lot for that to change.

hessiess
September 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
you cannot type on a tutch screen

CyberCowboy
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
you cannot type on a tutch screen

You can it just doesn't give the same tactile feedback that we are used to. If you had grown up using a touch screen to type on a regular keyboard would probably feel odd since there were all the gaps between keys that your fingers would slip into causing you to hit multiple keys at the same time.

gn2
September 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Touch screens get filthy very quickly.

Keyboard is best.

Joeb454
September 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Touch screens get filthy very quickly.

Keyboard is best.

Both get filthy quickly

NilsHG
September 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Both get filthy quickly

but you can still see the image of the screen when the keyboard gets filthy

lukjad007
September 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't want anyone touching my screen. I will let them touch my keyboard. The difference in price if they break one is reason enough.

gn2
September 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Both get filthy quickly

That's true, but it's usually far easier to clean a keyboard effectively, though it doesn't always happen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7377002.stm

I hate smears on screens.

Gorgoth
September 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'd hafta say that should touch-screens become mainstream for laptop/notebook/not-desktops alternatives, the screens would probably built of a quality high enough that they wouldn't be as easy to break as they currently are.

Though I hafta say, the gooey broken look on an LCD is kinda neat.

Also, would be nice if said future touchies were about the size of a 12"/13" Macbook... anything larger is cumbersome, anything smaller jsut doesnt have enough screen real-estate...

RiceMonster
September 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Both get filthy quickly

But I'm much more interested at looking at the screen.

Naiki Muliaina
September 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Current touch screens cant be used as keyboards properly because long term they can cause damage to your fingers. There has been an articale about it in New Scientist magazine in the UK. Its something to do with typing on the flat pane of a screen and making the back of you hands ache aswell as fingers.

aysiu
September 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
My wife's iPhone is a wonderful thing. It's a great thing for looking up stuff quickly, but you cannot even close to touch-type on a touchscreen, at least not the way they are now (maybe in the future). The small keyboards on netbooks take getting used to, but after an hour or so you can usually touch-type on them.

I don't foresee trading up my netbook for a touch-screen keyboard any time soon.