PDA

View Full Version : I hope Kubuntu gets fixed in time?

philinux
September 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Just for some excitement, ubuntu has been too stable. :) I though why not give Kubuntu a go. Live cd's ok and install was fine. Sound worked everything. That's when the fun started. Please bear in mind I'm looking at this from what a first timer might think.

Adept has no edit software sources list and is very quirky compared to synaptic. I had to install synaptic to get all the updates sorted. (known bug) And the search appears non functional.

Dolphin cant read other hard drives unless it's run as root. But I had to use gksudo as kdesu did not work. (known bug)

Fonts looked spidery and very soft, hard on the eyes. System settings is not easily navigated for a newbie. Eventuality I got font hinting sorted.

Firefox not installed by default I know but I cant imagine newbies loving konqueror.

Look and feel wise it's pretty good the default theme is good.

After that incursion I'm back to Gnome.

Nullack
September 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Me too :) OpenSUSE has allot more people behind it for a kde experience. I stick with gnome.

philinux
September 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oh and I forgot that in Kubuntu most keyboard shortcuts don't work. :(. I could not print screen for example, even after messing around to get it to work. Showing screen shots is very useful for sharing bugs etc.

beartard
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Me too :) OpenSUSE has allot more people behind it for a kde experience. I stick with gnome.

Yes, Open SuSE put a lot of effort into theme-ing kde4 to look just like kde3. They did a great job with it.

And yes, there's a lot to be desired in the Ubuntu version of KDE4. The whole thing looks nice. I'm far from a first-time user of KDE or Kubuntu, but the overall impression that Kubuntu Intrepid gives is one of being incomplete. I hope there's a lot more work...and fast.

Oh, about the PrintScreen function...the application is there, but the shortcut isn't working right now. (It's ksnapshot.)

TheMono
September 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM
The biggest thing is Knetworkmanager frankly doesn't work, and I'm highly concerned if that will actually get fixed or not.

1cewolf
September 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I like Kubuntu, but I agree with the OP that it still has significant issues which need ironed out.

It's frustrating seeing so many people devote their time to Ubuntu without giving Kubuntu the attention it needs. Kubuntu is still lagging behind Ubuntu, guys! It needs your time even more than Ubuntu does, so do your part to help make it great!

beartard
September 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I think a lot of Kubuntu users are intimidated at posting in the Ubuntu forums. And since the Kubuntu forums are fairly well useless due to lack of a strong, knowledgeable base, it limits our coverage. But KDE users do post bugs (and lots of them) so it's not a big worry. ;)

adredz
September 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I love KDE. But kubuntu doesn't have the attention ubuntu gets. I am beginning to shy away from buntus right now. Maybe OpenSuse or Mandriva will be my next stop...

dualscreenman
September 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
In the upcoming beta...

-Adept gains a (way to launch the) software sources editor. (There actually was a software sources editor before, but there was no way to launch the app from Adept)

-Dolphin can now mount external media without being run as root. Internal hard drives can't be mounted for some reason. So it's half fixed I guess.

-KNetworkManager has been fixed.