PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] USB-media ownership problem

utnubuuser
September 25th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hello - ...having a bit of a problem with my usb memory stick ownership.

I have a memory stick I've been using to transfer files for use on my 7.04 desktop, and my 7.04 laptop.

Today I installed 8.04 on my laptop, but when I tried to transfer my old files from the usb stick, I lost ownership of the stick. Now I get read-only permission on the stick for either machine.

How do I locate the media in the terminal, and how do I chown it?

Thanks.

nowshining
September 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
right-click the icon in my computer or whatever - i forgot the exact name 'cause i don't use gnome, and post the path... or try to find a tab where the mount point is shown...

Sealbhach
September 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Have you tried

sudo nautilus

utnubuuser
September 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, so far all I'm getting back is the message that changes can't be made to a read-only stick.

Hardy somehow changed it's status when I plugged it into the laptop.
I'll report the issue to the development team. I've come across this issue before, I just can't remember where

billgoldberg
September 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Have you tried

sudo nautilus

please use

gksudo nautilus

sudo nautilus can cause serious problems.

utnubuuser
September 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
alright!! got read/write back ..not sure if it's anything I did, or if it was auto-detected properly again. (Plugged it into a brand new 7.04 install)

Thanks

What's gksudo? ...if you don't mind me askin'

utnubuuser
September 25th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks

billgoldberg
September 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
alright!! got read/write back ..not sure if it's anything I did, or if it was auto-detected properly again. (Plugged it into a brand new 7.04 install)

Thanks

What's gksudo? ...if you don't mind me askin'

If you want to launch any gui program as root, use gksudo instead of sudo.

Especially if you launch nautilus as root.

Normally sudo will do fine, but there are some horror stories on the net about people using sudo when you should use gksudo.

utnubuuser
September 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
ok ...thanks

utnubuuser
October 26th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Chances are this "ownership" problem was due to an unsafe hardware removal.
I was reading an article yesterday re- Ubuntu on USB, and they stressed always removing the USB-stick properly, ie unmount, eject, etc, because Ubuntu wont recognize USB-media that's been improperly removed.