PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] *overwhelmed* Terminal?

Skyker
September 25th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I was reading a tutorial on terminal, describing the basic functions ect. And to tell the truth it's making me feel very overwhelmed.

Does Ubuntu have a point-and-click system like in Windows? (various files ect?) Or is it all terminal based?

Or is terminal just for installing and configuring things?

I haven't even installed Xubuntu yet and this is kind of scaring me. I don't mind playing around with some command lines ect, but if its a constant thing, I could see how it would get old fast, or tiring.

I guess I just need some explanations on my options of how I can work X/Ubuntu.

Thanks much~

Crafty Kisses
September 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Here, take a look at this link > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

damis648
September 25th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ubuntu is very user-friendly, and has a wonderful GUI. People only use the terminal because it is a lot more powerful and fast than using a graphical interface, and provides people with easier directions on fixing things.

akiratheoni
September 25th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I was reading a tutorial on terminal, describing the basic functions ect. And to tell the truth it's making me feel very overwhelmed.

Does Ubuntu have a point-and-click system like in Windows? (various files ect?) Or is it all terminal based?

Or is terminal just for installing and configuring things?

I haven't even installed Xubuntu yet and this is kind of scaring me. I don't mind playing around with some command lines ect, but if its a constant thing, I could see how it would get old fast, or tiring.

I guess I just need some explanations on my options of how I can work X/Ubuntu.

Thanks much~

Of course it has a point and click system. The terminal allows you to do a bit more tweaking than with a GUI, but for the most part if you're just doing basic things with Linux, you won't need a terminal. It makes installing and updating faster, though, because you don't need to open up Synaptic which at least to me gets slow sometimes.

mick222
September 25th, 2008, 02:10 AM
If you don't like terminal there's no need to use it except
that you can do things faster.Mostly i use the gui so go ahead and install for a complete newbie i would think ubuntu is easiest to use .The wubi is easy to install and use , you can remove it easily if you don't like it. Check out the sticky in the multimedia section this will show you the power and speed of doing things with terminal.

Skyker
September 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Here, take a look at this link > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

This link helped me a lot, and thanks for the reassurance everyone. :) I think I'm okay now. I'm going with Xubuntu because its more light weight than Ubuntu, but I assume its just as easy to work with the GUI. <3 You guys are great. *feeling better*:)

RequinB4
September 25th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Other than to play around and test things to help other people, I haven't opened the terminal in 7 months...

The CLI is very very optional in ubuntu - The reason you mostly see it here in the forums is that it's a lot easier to say "copy and paste this code" than "well, right click, then click this, then type in this, then click this" etc.

This is actually a common misconception about linux distrobutions- the advancements made in this decade are amazing.

aimpau
September 25th, 2008, 02:21 AM
With the terminal I can:

play music: mpd
bittorent: rtorrent
install things: the never ending "sudo apt-get install"
read program manuals: man
convert music: to many to mention
browse the internet: w3m

Don't be scared with the terminal. :) Have fun with xubuntu! Remember to post here in the forums with the correct tags (ie. Xubuntu)

Teamgai
September 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I don't mean to butt in, but I'm worried that I won't understand terminal completely because in my everyday use, I have to install progs all the time, and the problem is that I'm used to Windows GUI's that just require you to click Next.

I've been searching around, and everything that tells me how to install Java doesn't explain what my root password is (I used PenDriveLinux for 20 minutes and for that, I had to use root as my username and password). When I try to type something in, it doesn't work until I hit enter again, then I type it in, hit enter, and it says it's incorrect...

Please don't flame me for my newbishness T^T

EDIT: It says Authentication failure

EDIT EDIT: I think I'll make my own thread.....

TriSwords
September 25th, 2008, 02:28 AM
You can set (or reset) your root password if your account has Admin rights.

Go into the terminal and type in

sudo passwd

then enter your current logged in password. Should give you a prompt to reset your UNIX (root) password.

simtaalo
September 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
id say learning the terminal commands will be very useful and help to understand more.

BUT if you want to do everything through the gui thats no problem, this link will help
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=898328

Teamgai
September 25th, 2008, 02:32 AM
OH SNAP! *facepalm* I realize now it was just protecting it, so as to not show it (instead of a line of asterisks like Windows)

That's embarrassing...

Thank you TriSwords!

RequinB4
September 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Read my signature about root and sudo before you do that...

!!! Also - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414 !!!