PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have Clearwire ISP and can't get connected

SeaKona
September 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have Ubuntu and Vista as a dual boot on my pc. I can access the web from windows but nothing from Ubuntu. I am a newbie and had to struggle just to get as far as getting Ubuntu on my PC but now I am stuck with getting an internet connection. My ISP is Clearwire.

I have read that many others are having problems with Clearwire and Ubuntu. I called Clearwire for their help support they told me the system supports linux but they don't have tech support for it.

Looking for any solutions (other than switching back to Comcast)

Marti

lwvmobile
September 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Can you give us a little detail on how you connect in Windows? Is Clearwire a Cable, DSL, Satellite provider? Do you have a static or dynamic ip address? Do you need to use special software in windows or do you use a protocol like PPPOE?

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get an ISP working, unless it requires special software or a special hardware modem or something.

:popcorn::KS

lwvmobile
September 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM
OK I just googled it, its a cellular provider.

Your best bet may be using ndiswrapper combined with the drivers they have on their website. Hopefully the authentication onboard the adapter so that is functions more like a gateway/router than a network card so we can eliminate special software.

BTW, whats your Ubuntu knowledge level? Complete Novice, Beginner, or Intermediate?

crazyone
September 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
do u got the clearwire pcmcia card or the modem form them cause i got the modem and it works great in linux

SeaKona
September 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I am very new to Ubuntu, I am using Hardy Heron 8.04 I am using Clearwire modem not the PCMCIA card. I have been able to connect directly to the modem with Vist without any software and I have also been able to connect through with my D-link wireless router.
Marti

NewDisciple
September 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Clearwire pretty much works out of the box on ubuntu. You didn't provide any info about your computer; hint, hint. I'm guessing that you may have a hardware specific issue and may need a certain driver. Perhaps if you provide the previously mentioned information someone will see it that can answer your question.

ckunzler
January 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Clearwire pretty much works out of the box on ubuntu. You didn't provide any info about your computer; hint, hint. I'm guessing that you may have a hardware specific issue and may need a certain driver. Perhaps if you provide the previously mentioned information someone will see it that can answer your question.

I'm also a newbie with clearwire. Though luckily I've never had a problem with Ubuntu connecting with using Clearwire -- and yes it has always worked out of the box.

dgammon7244
April 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I have ClearWire and i am using the PC Express Card..... dont know much about linux (Ubuntu) If i can get the internet to work and function to where i can do every day task i will leave VISTA BEHIND!!!!! Beside i have always kinda wanted to go to linux just have not had time to learn to use it! I can get the Residential modem to work from clearwire it uses a standard rj connection ethernet..... i switched from that to a pc express card and now i cant get connected using that! Any help on how to use the ndswrapper?

NewDisciple
April 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have never used ndswrapper myself as I had the Intel 1394 card. After a while I began having problems with network manager and I switched to WICD, but as I understand it, network manager is vastly improved. As far as ndswrapper there are many, many threads in the forums with instructions. As an after thought, you didn't give any specifics on your equipment. On my laptop eth0 (wired) had to be disconnected first, prior to connecting to eth1 (WLAN0). The names may be different on your setup but they still mean the same thing.

dgammon7244
April 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I do not know how to do anything in ubuntu.....

The PC Express Card it self is a that acts as a nic card.

Dont know much about it..... i am trying to use the ndiswrapper and the windows drivers but cant seem to get the ndiswrapper to work cause i am used to windows and dont know how to run or install apps in ubuntu..... i am a newb. to ubuntu a geek at windows..... so i need some help.

NewDisciple
April 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Forget about clearwire for the moment as that is not your issue. Tell us what your computer specs are. Brand & model of motherboard. Copy & paste: sudo lshw -C net into your terminal. It will give net interfaces with output like following example:
rick@ricks-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C net
[sudo] password for rick:
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 02
serial: 00:13:02:08:cd:2b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ipw3945 driverversion=1.2.2mp.ubuntu1 firmware=14.2 1:0 () latency=0 link=no module=ipw3945 multicast=yes wireless=unassociated
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
serial: 00:14:22:eb:fb:8c
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=1.01 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.101 latency=64 link=yes module=b44 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s

Of course the names will be different than what I have posted. This example was from my laptop.
Here is an example from my desktop:
rick@rick-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C net
[sudo] password for rick:
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
serial: 00:1f:d0:d0:bb:27
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.1.100 latency=0 link=yes module=r8169 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
serial: 00:1f:d0:80:e1:65
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no module=r8169 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network:0
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:16:b6:4f:d9:d4
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rndis_wlan driverversion=22-Aug-2005 firmware=Wireless RNDIS device, BCM4320b usb-0000:00:1d.7-2 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE802.11bg
*-network:1 DISABLED
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: fa:0b:8d:c5:06:0c
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

In my previous post I had said I used 1394, oops, thats firewire. What I meant was the 3945 wireless. Hope I didn't confuse anyone with that.
Anyhow, post the requested information then we'll have something to work with.

dgammon7244
April 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
drew@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C net
*-network
product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
version: 01
serial: 00:17:31:c8:98:cc
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.79.10 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
serial: 00:15:c5:42:ad:87
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=half latency=64 link=no module=ssb multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10MB/s
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: ca:95:bf:69:fc:35
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
drew@ubuntu:~$

There this card is in my pc express slot not a regular pc card.
might get it to work if i could find a way to get on the internet some how and get ndiswrapper and the inf. file for the card!

dgammon7244
April 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The card info.

Expedience Broadband Express Card
Model: PCEx25100

from Clearwire.

NewDisciple
April 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The BCM43xx and BCm44xx modules require different drivers. Here are three threads to walk you through this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=649237
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=511343&highlight=broadcom+4401
These links are several years old so I'm not certain that you would still have to compile the 44xx drivers from source and the driver is a newer version that what is talked about in theses threads. But they will provide some insight, such as how to check your installation. Now part of this I'm just guessing on as it has been a while since I've had wireless and I never had the Broadcom module.
Also, you need to activate the desired network in network manager. To the best of my knowledge only one can be activated at a given time.
The other thing that I wanted to mention is that my modem is old; guess I was one of their first customers. Until I just now looked it up I have never seen a pci card like yours. On my modem you plug into the router or directly to the computer. I don't know if any of this is helping you or just mucking the water.

NewDisciple
April 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
PS: Don't forget that your wireless (eth1) is the BCM 4311. Your ethernet connection/interface (eth0) is BCM 4401. Big difference here. Just to narrow things down a bit, which one are you trying to connect through?