PDA

View Full Version : [other] Grub partition deleted

Jengajam2
September 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM
My sister was trying to format a usb flash drive, and somehow deleted the Grub partition. I do not have a Ubuntu live cd (and cannot download one), and I'm using a Slax live cd now. If someone could tell me how to boot lilo or grub on a usb flash drive, that would be apreciated.

sneeks
September 24th, 2008, 11:47 PM
bit more info,is your os on the usb stick,or on the main pc?

caljohnsmith
September 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
On the Slax Live CD, does it have the grub shell command and the grub-install command:

which grub
which grub-install
If that returns the path to those commands, great, if not you would have to figure out how to install the Grub package to your Live CD so you can run those commands. And when you say your sister deleted your Grub partition, was Grub the only thing on that partition or was it maybe a /boot partition? It would be helpful if you could post:

fdisk -l

And be sure to run fdisk as root user.

Jengajam2
September 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
heres what i got when i ran fdisk:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19131 153669726 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 19132 29273 81465615 5 Extended
/dev/sda3 29274 30401 9060660 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda5 28855 29273 3365586 82 Linux swap

and slax doesn't have grub on the live cd, is there a way to get grub (or lilo) to a usb flash drive?
EDIT:sry, it was formatted, not deleted.

caljohnsmith
September 25th, 2008, 02:17 AM
What exactly are you ultimately trying to accomplish? From your fdisk output, was it your sda3 partition the one that your sister formatted? What OS was there before? Are you just trying to reinstall Grub so you can boot your Windows partition sda1, or are you eventually going to put a Linux OS on sda3? If you just want to be able to boot Windows in sda1, and if you have your Windows Install CD, just go to the recovery console and run the command:

fixmbr
And you should be able to boot Windows.

Jengajam2
September 25th, 2008, 02:25 AM
What exactly are you ultimately trying to accomplish? From your fdisk output, was it your sda3 partition the one that your sister formatted? What OS was there before? Are you just trying to reinstall Grub so you can boot your Windows partition sda1, or are you eventually going to put a Linux OS on sda3? If you just want to be able to boot Windows in sda1, and if you have your Windows Install CD, just go to the recovery console and run the command:

fixmbr
And you should be able to boot Windows.

whenever I boot my computer, Iget a Grub 17 error. So what I'm trying to do is get Grub working again; oh yeah, and it was sda 3. Like I said, is there any way to get Grub onto a usb pendrive, because i could just boot usb from the bios and that would work.

meierfra.
September 25th, 2008, 02:42 AM
sda3 seems to big for a Grub partition.

Did you dual boot Ubuntu and Windows before the incident?

According the fdisk where is also about 70GB of unallocated space on your hard drive.
Do you know what kind partitions you had before the incident?

Are you trying to boot into Windows and into Ubuntu? Or just into Windows?

Jengajam2
September 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
sda3 seems to big for a Grub partition.

Did you dual boot Ubuntu and Windows before the incident?

According the fdisk where is also about 70GB of unallocated space on your hard drive.
Do you know what kind partitions you had before the incident?

Are you trying to boot into Windows and into Ubuntu? Or just into Windows?
I had ubuntu with 2 different kernels, and 2 recovery modes for both kernels, windows Xp,and the 98/2000/xp recovery under "other operating systems"

meierfra.
September 25th, 2008, 03:15 AM
If you follow caljohnsmith advice from post #5 you should be able to boot into Windows.

Your Ubuntu partition is probably lost. Do you know how large your Ubuntu partition was? If you had some valuable data on your Ubuntu partition, you could try to rescue it with testdisk/photorec.
Did you have a separate home partition?