PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Blues.......Not Any More!!

squirrel1
September 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
For the past few weeks, on and off, I have been trying to get Hardy Heron Ubuntu to run on Virtual Box. Several problems (mostly caused by lack of knowlege of Linux) were encountered.

Firsty there was no way my HP NC8000 would allow a full screen, no matter what I did (VBox Guest Additions was installed) and I quickly came to the conclusion that machine was not suitable. It was then that I tried a 'Live CD' with my Dell Inspiron 6400 and a full screen was achiveable. So there was hope yet!

Now that I had caught the Linux bug, I wasn't going to stop there! After aquiring a secondhand HP desktop (not sure waht the model number was) I proceeded to install Ubuntu as a 'Proper Operating System' (not on VMWare).

I was very plesantly suprised at how painless it was. Within 20 or-so minutes I had a fully working computer with no drivers to download and install (unlike some other well known o\s).

There are plenty of things to be learnt about Linux, but that is the fun part, and life would be boring without a chalange.

So If you are thinking of giving up on Linux because things are not working as per your expectations, don't panic, there is plenty of helpful advise on the internet.

And REMEMBER this is NOT 'WINDOWS'........Have fun, I know I will......

knix
September 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
unlike some other well known o\s
Welcome to ubuntu, the land without \\\backslashes\\\
Not trying to be rude, it's good to have you.

motang
September 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Cool, good to know that you are willing to learn new things and that you are not turned off to something that posses a little bit of challenge. Welcome to Ubuntu, sit back, relax, and have fun. :-D