PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which dell Ubuntu laptop should I buy?

frog4044
September 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Which Ubuntu laptop should I buy? I'm really looking for a laptop that has 2-4 gigabytes of ram, good processor, good graphics card, and a average harddrive. I want one of the laptops with the integrated webcam and ubuntu preinstalled because i think that this laptop would probably be easy to set up. so which would be the best one to buy? or if you have any other laptops that are easily compatable that are similar that would be great. I really want to get a webcam that works with flash though. Thanks.

cms2337
September 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I just got the Studio 15n 3 weeks ago (pre-installed with Ubuntu of course) and I am in love with it. Every thing works out of the box. I did alot of upgrades tho(1440x900 screen, 4gb ram, bluetooth, webcam,2.1ghz cpu) It ran me about 1k.
I really think I over did it tho, my processes never approach 3G of ram. The webcam works okay with skype and Cheese, but i haven't tried it with flash yet. The battery life is 3hours-ish, which is not to bad.

Its a really pretty laptop, spent the extra $25 to get it in orange to match my OS :)

As for the graphics, it is good enough to run compiz at full blast, 3d-cube and all... I am struggling to run WOW on it... can get it to run, just textures are all off, but i think that is a wine/chris problem.

It did take dell 3 weeks to send it to me tho...

Make sure you do alot of research before you buy anything.

PC_load_letter
September 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Would you mind telling us which video chipset you have? The ATI, or the Intel X3100 (not sure about the model number)?

thorcik
September 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
go for the xps m1330! quite small & lightweight so it's ok to carry it in your backpack (if you need to do it, I certainly do). and it comes in white, black or red (at least in Poland)
now for the interesting part (my configuration):
- core2duo @ 2.0 GHz (you can get more)
- 2GB RAM (up to 4GB)
- smallest disk - 120GB 5400RPM (should've taken 160 GB 7200RPM)
- graphic card - either X3100 or nVidia GF8400-something (don't remember and I'm too lazy to type lspci); using restricted drivers, it's as smooth as I need it to be. and doesn't eat my RAM which is very useful if you run stuff like BLAST.
- webcam depends on the screen you choose, I went for the WLED (more expensive but unbeleivably bright, it is also lighter) which has an 0.3MPix webcam (640*480), worked out of the box. the standard screen has a 2MPix cam. both screens are 1280*800, the difference is in brightness, weight and thickness (WLED wins in every category ;oD)
Other details:
- I've got Intel WiFi 4965AGN, works bloody well.
- battery life ~2.5 to 3 hours (rather 2.5) on a 6-cell battery. you can choose a bigger one (9 cell) but it would be protruding from the laptop - it makes no sense for a small one.
- bluetooth if you choose to
- nice looks! :o)

cms2337
September 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Would you mind telling us which video chipset you have? The ATI, or the Intel X3100 (not sure about the model number)?

It's the intel.