PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] scanning a window partition under linux

esmailgad
September 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone
How can I scan the C:parition of windows under linux using clamAV and through the network.

HermanAB
September 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
It is better to fix Windows using Windows tools. I recommend BartPE bootable Windows CD: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Then you can install Spybot Search and Destroy, ClamWin, Hijackthis and so on, all on the CD.

mkham
September 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
EXACTLY. Want to scan sick Windows by just booting into Linux and to scan files when swapping them between OS's. Have Hardy Heron updated 8.04 AMD64 on a Acer 5003WLMi AMD Turion 64 ML32 1.8gh, 512L2 cache, 1 gig RAM. First installed ClamAV, whgich showed up as installed on Add/Remove, but when rebooted it was gone.

I've tried Linux AVG, but it just says wrong architecture, Avast 64bit does the same thing (maybe not for AMD); see a big Avira Linux, but doesn't say AMD or 64. Downloaded Linux F-Prot, which I used with Windows- nice cause you could do it in DOS, where viruses were inactive. It claims 64bit function (but not AMD), and saw some complex instructions on how to install it from Jan 2006, but would like something newer. Or any other AV that you KNOW works on HH AMD64. Like I said, I'm more interested in dealing with Windows viruses to avoid being a Typhoid Mary and clean my sick Windows partitions.

PS I'm in Kiev, which is a high threat environment- my IWmdows lasted 2 months in Moscow using sporadic WiFi before it was fried.