PDA

View Full Version : [other] Thunderbird new mail tray notification

Amorget
September 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Basically I want a new mail notification icon in the system tray when I get new mail. I miss the pop-up a lot, so I'll completely miss that I have new mail. I've seen the mail-notification program and it is not what I am looking for, and I've seen 'moztraybiff', but that disables the default notification plus it hasn't been updated in over a year.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

bobsmith2
September 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Mailbox Alert. I use it. It's excellent. Just be sure to go in and set the global preferences to 99999 seconds (which is plenty long). That will keep the notification up so you don't miss it.

Amorget
September 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
The mail Icon doesn't appear in the Task Bar, but it isn't bad. Problem I am seeing is that is a rather big... it isn't just the Icon, it's the Icon plus a rather large grey box so it covers more then I would like.

bobsmith2
September 25th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Yeah, it's kind of big. There's no missing it, that's for sure. I reduced the problem this way:

I dedicate a virtual desktop entirely to Thunderbird - just to the right of my main desktop. I leave Thunderbird maximized all the time on that desktop, and I have Mailbox Alert pop up in the bottom right. When I did that, I no longer saw the entire gray box thing - just one end of the gray box (maybe a third of it?) protrudes onto my main desktop down by the tray. It's much less obtrusive that way.

I don't know if that will work for you, but thought I'd throw it out in case it helps.