PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Playing with your wireless network

duquer
September 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
im just curious there is no problem with anything on my OS right now but i have always been curious house to mess with other people on your network that have like vista or xp like control there computer. i have ubuntu 8.04. i was wondering is there away to mess with the other computer on your home network just a joke or something.or is there some way to get into the files and transfer them over to my computer. the reason why i ask that is because i have a laptop and i would like to transfer files from that to my desktop with out using a USb thumb drive cause it takes so long.

qstraza
September 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
you could install nbtscan and check if they have netbios share enabled.
than just open konqueror/nautalius (or something like that;) ) and type in smb://ip

aeiah
September 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
the normal way to access files located on a windows computer is to set up a samba share, but this wont be possible if you're trying to do it on the sly.

you might find airpwn amusing if you have a wireless card that can do packet injection if you want to get up to some mischief, although this has little to do with accessing files

superprash2003
September 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
as mentioned above, you would need samba to share ubuntu files and folders to windows machines.
For reference : Samba setup guide http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-setup-samba-in-linux.html

qstraza
September 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
as mentioned above, you would need samba to share ubuntu files and folders to windows machines.
For reference : Samba setup guide http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-setup-samba-in-linux.html
you dont have to install samba in order to copy files on your pc from XP/vista, but you need server if you want to share files with XP/vista.

xpod
September 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
im just curious there is no problem with anything on my OS right now but i have always been curious house to mess with other people on your network that have like vista or xp like control there computer

Is`nt that just a wee bit naughty...potentially??
Unless of course all the computers belong to you,but still?
I know the trouble anyone within our home would get into if they considered such actions......barring me of course but then i`m DAD:)

Theres loads of fun & games you can have with machines on your own networks but again i`d think twice about "messing with other people"

duquer
September 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
oh i just wanna mess with my home computer that basically all belong to me there just on my network. im not looking to get in trouble or anything its just getting the knowledge. im just curious on how to do it..