PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with automatrix

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Im trying to open a .rar archeive, and It seems that unrar-free wont work right, so I did a bit of digging and came up with automatrix. However, I used some online guides for installing automatrix, but it says something about the website not being found. I then go to www.automatrix.com, and find out it has a new host or whatever. My problem, I need to open a rar archeive and don't know how to on ubuntu.

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Automatix is an old obsolete piece of software designed to deal with some of the shortcomings of older versions of Ubuntu. It's not needed (and in fact, is strongly advised against) on recent versions.

Most of the things Automatix did (such as install an unrar tool) can be achieved by installing a single package: ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt:ubuntu-restricted-extras) (click to install)

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thank you, but how do I get to it using the terminal?

kpkeerthi
September 24th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Thank you, but how do I get to it using the terminal?

Enter this command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Im going to assume that the below code is a problem?

E: Type '“deb' is not known on line 35 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.

mevets
September 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
You might have been messing around with your /etc/apt/sources.list. You might only need to refresh your list:

sudo apt-get update

Or edit that file and fixed or remove the line you were messing with:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Small point; you should actually use gksu for GUI apps like gedit, instead of sudo. So:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ubuntu-restricted-extras

I think there is a problem

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ubuntu-restricted-extras

I think there is a problem

Do you have the multiverse repo enabled? Go to System > Admin > Software sources, make sure it's checked then try again with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I don't understand, do you mean in the root filesystem?

Bölvağur
September 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
no, he is refering to broaden what you can see in synaptic or apt-get.
read his instructions carefully, I think they are clear when you do them step by step and read slowly.

*added*
he is talking about the gnome pannel (the thing on top of the screen)

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Do you have the multiverse repo enabled? Go to System > Admin > Software sources, make sure it's checked then try again with:

I don't see the "Software sources", would it have anything to do with my computer running dapper drake?

Kevbert
September 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Check what software sources you have enabled. Go to System - Administration - Software Sources and check that all four boxes under the Ubuntu Software Tab are ticked, then click on Close. Now go to System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager and click on Search. Enter ubuntu-restricted extras in the Search box and click on Search. The package should be displayed. Now right-click on the box next to your package, select Mark for Installation and then click on Apply. If this fails please post back.

Bölvağur
September 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
perhaps it is different in dapper drake.
You can access that program also from within Synaptic.

open synaptic and find.

Settings → Repositories.

That is the Software Sources we have been talking about.
There you can check in evey box except the cd one, Multiverse one is a requirement.

philinux
September 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Is there a reason you're sticking with Dapper. There is a direct upgrade path to Hardy, which is also a LTS release.

What are your pc specs?

Sef
September 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevets http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5846276#post5846276)
Code:

Small point; you should actually use gksu for GUI apps like gedit, instead of sudo. So:
Code:
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Actually the correct code is

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.listOnce gedit opens here's how to find the line easier:

Edit > Preferences > View > check the box below Line Numbering

then once you find the line comment it out. To comment it out, put a # before it.

Note: When using a graphical appliation in root, you need either gksudo for Ubuntu and Xubuntu or kdesu for Kubuntu. For terminal applications in root, sudo is used for all three.

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
would it have anything to do with my computer running dapper drake?

Yes, it would. Dapper is a very old version, and doesn't seem to have ubuntu-restricted-extras in it's repos.

Just grab unrar (apt:unrar) on it's own and you should be alright.

AndyCooll
September 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Also there are two versions of unrar. The unrar-free is as it implies completely "free", however it doesn't open all rar files. If that's what you'll be needing you'll want plain unrar.

:cool:

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I started the update before I left for school, It will update to hardy heron.

KatanaMonk
September 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

After I got home, it finished the intallation of hardy heron, and now it works thanks.

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Im trying to open a .rar archeive, and It seems that unrar-free wont work right, so I did a bit of digging and came up with automatrix. However, I used some online guides for installing automatrix, but it says something about the website not being found. I then go to www.automatrix.com, and find out it has a new host or whatever. My problem, I need to open a rar archeive and don't know how to on ubuntu.

Install

p7zip-full

In the rare case it shouldn't be able to unrar the archive, use winrar in wine. It works great.

crjackson
September 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
ignore this post.