PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] media skipping off of external memory

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Howdy, so playing music or movies off of my USB external memory drive causes the playback to "kind of" stop every 40-60 seconds for about 4-6 seconds. It looks like it has stopped playback, but it picks up where it would be if it hadn't stopped. When this happens there is a surge of activity on the "System Monitor" applet, indicating about 50% or so usage of "IOwait." If anybody knows what to do to fix this it would be FANTASTIC.

Peter09
September 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
It may be that you USB memory stick has just a slow transfer rate ... to slow to get the data across. However it is worth checking what else may be running. Use 'htop' - its in the repositories, to monitor the activity of your system

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Ok, well using this program while running music through exaile, it looks like "python exaile.py" (which there are four of running, that might be a problem) drops to 0% CPU usage after one of the processors rises to 100%, stopping playback, then quickly rises to 30-50% CPU usage, then down to about 15%. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, however.

philinux
September 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Try a different player.

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
The same thing happens in Amarok (where there are also four "Amarokapp" applications running, so I'll assume having four is the norm *shrugs*)
I didn't have any problems running the audio files in VLC, but I would hate to not be able to use libraries while playing music.
Running video in VLC I get the same kind of problem. But not when I run them in Totem.
Am I just going to have to side-step my computer or is there a way to actually *fix* this? This hasn't always been a problem, just over the past month or two.

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
scratch that. it just happens *less* when running them in the "working" programs.

philinux
September 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I dont think it's normal to have 4 amarok players running at the same time. Something weird going on. I'd reboot then run system monitor and watch processes as you play a track.

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Well there's only one "amarokapp" that "System Monitor" detects. But using the "Htop" program that was recommended by peter09 earlier in the thread, it detects four processes with the same name, but different PIDs. Totem had eight, but is only one process in "System Monitor."

danmeetswood
September 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
;)
http://www.nerdtests.com/images/badge/44a658cc2555e46e.gif