PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] E:Malformed line / how to edit document as root?

3ra
September 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
As the title says, how do i do it? Guessing i have to be logged in as root, but how exactly do i do that?

Got an error; E:Malformed line 56 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse), E:The list of sources could not be read.'

And iam guessing i can just "#" that line out, then update aye?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section..

Sef
September 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
As the title says, how do i do it? Guessing i have to be logged in as root, but how exactly do i do that?

Got an error; E:Malformed line 56 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse), E:The list of sources could not be read.'

And iam guessing i can just "#" that line out, then update aye?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section..Applications > Accessories > Terminal

then paste or type this code:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.listOnce in Gedit, then Edit > Preferences > View > check line numbering

Next, find line 56 and put a # in front of it to comment it out.

I will move this to Absolute Beginners.

3ra
September 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hmm well, it wont work. And i did try that command before. It will only open an empty document :/

But with the same name and treepath as the file i want.

Elfy
September 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Change ect to etc

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

ad_267
September 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
If you run gksu gedit then you should be able to click on open and browse to find the file too. Although if you typed in the file name correctly it should open it.

Edit: I was a bit slow, yeah didn't notice that, it should be etc.

Sef
September 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Change ect to etc

Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Thank you for spotting my error. I have corrected it.

3ra
September 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys, but just out of interest, what does gksudo stands for? Have to learn this as well ^^

Idefix82
September 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
It means that you mistyped the file name or are looking for it in the wrong directory.
Tip: if you start typing a directory or file name and then hit Tab then the name will be completed if you have typed enough characters to identify the name uniquely. If there are several possibilities then the first Tab won't do anything but hitting it twice will display all the possible completions. This way you can make sure that you don't mistype anything.

Idefix82
September 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
gksu is like sudo but you use it for graphical programs

Sef
September 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
but just out of interest, what does gksudo stands for?gksudo is used when going into root and using a graphical appliation in Ubuntu and Xubuntu. (In Kubuntu, the equivalent is kdesu.) If you are not using a graphical application, then sudo is what is used for all three oses.

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 10:19 AM
In a very nutshell..

"sudo" prepended to a command will execute that command with root privileges. Only system administrators (the "sudoers") can sudo.

"gksu" or "gksudo" must be used instead of "sudo" when executing graphical commands.

[Sorry I was late... and thanks Idefix82 and Sef:)]

3ra
September 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for clearing things up : )