PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] The touchpad is closing windows I want open...

conflictofinterests
September 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
For some reason after I click on the taskbar to open a smaller window and then start the stroke of my finger on the touchpad from the lower edge, it closes the window I just opened. I can open the window normally by starting the stroke near the middle, so this is more of an annoyance than a serious problem. As I hear it, though, Linux is for making things that fit the user, and I'm spaztic with the touchpad. I looked at the mouse preferences, and nothing there seemed like it applied to this, so could I get some help?

(Edit) Sorry for not making this clearer, this happens the moment I try to move the mouse off the taskbar. If I were clicking, it would have clicked the window that I was trying to open in the first place.

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Dear conflictofinterests,

I can relate... I hate the click-by-tapping-touchpad behaviour, I always used to get unwanted clicks that would take away the focus from my active window, close it, or reposition the cursor at random places while I was in the middle of typing (soooooooo annoying).... ;)

If you go to System->Preferences->Mouse, does the window that opens up have a tab labeled "Touchpad"? (It should be the third (and last) one from the left). Try selecting that and removing the tick from "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad". Worked licke a charm for me:KS

Good luck:)

conflictofinterests
September 25th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I did that, but the problem is still occuring,besides my not being able to click by tapping the touchpad.

This is kind of confusing, and if I can have a solution that allows me to still click by tapping the touchpad I'd be greatful.

Jazzy_Jeff
September 25th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Under the touchpad controls also disable the vertical and horizontal scrolling. Hope this helps.