PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] locked out of computer

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Today i noticed that I have lost administrative privileges for both logins on my system. In the login I frequently I use I can't access synaptic, when I click unlock in users-admin I get a message stating that the password can't be authenticated.
With the other login I can use sudo still but again I cannot unlock anything. Any way to edit one of these users back to having admin privileges?

jemate18
September 24th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Today i noticed that I have lost administrative privileges for both logins on my system. In the login I frequently I use I can't access synaptic, when I click unlock in users-admin I get a message stating that the password can't be authenticated.
With the other login I can use sudo still but again I cannot unlock anything. Any way to edit one of these users back to having admin privileges?

what is the output of

users

in the terminal?

Crafty Kisses
September 24th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Try the following:

sudo -i
Enter your password, then see if you become root.

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 04:27 AM
what is the output of

users

in the terminal?

eliot@ShuttleX:~$ users
eliot eliot
eliot@ShuttleX:~$

eliot is the login, my other login is admin

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Try the following:

sudo -i
Enter your password, then see if you become root.

eliot@ShuttleX:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for eliot:
eliot is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

However with the other login I can get into root. What now? :P

nowshining
September 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
my guess is that u need to go into the account u can get root/sudo in and add urself ie: user elliot to the admin group.....i just forgot the exact sequence on howtwo..

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Hello Estanton,

logging in as admin, can you go to System->Administration->Users and Groups and unlock that? 'Cause if you can, it's easy: select eliot, click on Properties, select the "User Privileges" tab and enable "Administer the system".

Good luck:KS

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hello Estanton,

logging in as admin, can you go to System->Administration->Users and Groups and unlock that? 'Cause if you can, it's easy: select eliot, click on Properties, select the "User Privileges" tab and enable "Administer the system".

Good luck:KS

No I can't unlock anything with either account, I just keep getting the same error. If I run users-admin from the terminal I get.

** (users-admin:11362): CRITICAL **: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include:
the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Any help guys? Since I'm locked out of my own system the only option I see at the moment is to scrub the system and start all over again. yech.

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I see...

Does it give you the same error if you do
gksudo users-admin?

If so, you could try reinstalling gnome-system-tools from synaptic and see if that changes anything. Do you have any, say, "non standard" security applications like Bastille or SELinux installed?

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
** (users-admin:11612): CRITICAL **: Unable to lookup session information for process '11612'
i don't have access to synaptic because I don't have admin privileges.
However it is up to date, rave a sudo apt from the terminal.
I'm running a pretty standard configuration nothing odd on the security side at all.

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
i don't have access to synaptic because I don't have admin privileges.

you mean
gksu /usr/sbin/synaptic

won't work? (From your "admin" account, I mean.)

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
No difference, is there a way to edit those privileges manually?

Orange_and_Green
September 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well, yes, there is...

You could use the command "adduser" to add eliot to the admin group (or perhaps to add a new admin2 user that might just luckily enough be created with things working normally). See "man adduser" or this link (http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Managing_Ubuntu_Linux_Users_and_Groups) for details.

If you want to edit the sudoers file you can do so with visudo but please be EXTREMELY careful if you do, and make a backup of any files you are about to edit...

Visudo tutorial (http://www.unixtutorial.org/2007/12/visudo-tutorial/)

It's hard to give you a good advice... Personally, I would likely try adding a new admin (possibly, if things are still ugly, even temporarily adding him to root group) and see if you can straighten things out from that account... But that's only what I would do....

estanton
September 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
No dice, :(
This apparently creeps up in systems from time to time. I wonder what causes it. There's a few other reports in the forums about it.