PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking at new Seagate Free Agent drives. . . Will they work with Ubuntu?

pi.boy.travis
September 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I have been considering purchasing one of those new Seagate Free Agent drives. I currently use a Seagate 350 GB external drive, and one of those old pocket hard drives that looks like a doughnut ;)

I have read in various places, however, that Free Agent drives won't work with Linux due to some strange power management feature that spins down the drive and closes the USB connection.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Does anyone own one of these newer drives and have it working in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance!

jimmy the saint
September 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I have one. it seems to work fine in Ubuntu, but always gives an error in Xubuntu. The power management issues was fixed a while back.

pi.boy.travis
September 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have one. it seems to work fine in Ubuntu, but always gives an error in Xubuntu. The power management issues was fixed a while back.

There's one!

I would probably format mine to ext3. I believe the new ones ship as NTFS.

medic2000
September 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I will format it with ext3 too if i buy 1TB seagate.

exile
September 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I have a 500gb and a portable 320gb one.. both seem to work for me on ubuntu 8.04. I don't have them attached and on all the time though so I can't vouch for very long usage sessions.

I left them formatted as ntfs.