PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Hardy. Locks up.

SteveF
September 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I saw various forum messages about lockups, but the dates spanned a long time so I can't tell if any of those would help me.

I just installed Hardy on a clean partition (my Gutsy install is on another partition and works fine). After about 2 - 5 minutes, my system freezes. I have to hard boot to do anything.

I am running a Dell Dimension 8100 (yes old machine).
Has 1.4Ghz Processor
512mb memory
NVidia Graphics (I selected enable on restricted drivers and it installed the package)

Any other information I can provide that might help?

Steve

Sef
September 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
I just installed Hardy on a clean partition (my Gutsy install is on another partition and works fine). After about 2 - 5 minutes, my system freezes. I have to hard boot to do anything.

When it freezes, have you been using a particular application? (e.g., firefox, open office, etc.)

SteveF
September 24th, 2008, 12:11 AM
When it freezes, have you been using a particular application? (e.g., firefox, open office, etc.)

The first time I was trying to download the latest updates. It had started to download one package when it died. The second time I was in user manager trying to add a user when it died after I clicked Add User.

The only thing I can think of that is consistent is both required me to enter the sudo password to get as far as I did.

Steve

SteveF
September 25th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I read somewhere to try adding highres=off nhz=off irqpoll to my grub entry. This did not help. First time I opened Firefox, it locked up my machine (which also makes it seem that sudo is not the common item anymore).

Steve