View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] hardy going to login screen when box goes idle

September 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
it started doing this last night. when my box goes idle i get logged out of hardy and it goes to teh login screen.....any ideas on how to fix this?

possiable bug maybe??

September 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
maybe it's set in your preferences to lock the computer if it goes into a screensaver. look in the screensaver preferences. there's a checkbox that says 'lock screen when screensaver is active'. is it checked? if so, uncheck it.

September 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
nope thats not it either.

any other ideas??

September 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
how long does your computer go idle, and does it go into any power saving modes before it makes you log in again?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
ok i just went into the screensaver menue it logs out of ubuntu too......

verry verry strange

September 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
so it also logs out in a screensaver?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
which screensaver are you currently using? ripples?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
i went into systep>preferneces>screensaver and it logs me out of ubuntu and back ot the signin screen.

its getting verry annoying now. i went downstairs and came back and boom, im logged out....

September 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
the screensaver with the planets and moonscapes on it. it does slide shows for about 15mins then goes black when it works correctly. i sat here and watched it a few mins ago. it goes idle,then black then back ot the human themed login screen for ubuntu

September 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
hmm after a little googling i found out that this was a bug in ubuntu a while ago. have you installed all the kernel updates and any other system updates?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
yep. my system checks for updates and i update on a daily basis as they come in.

September 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
how long does your computer go before it goes into any power saving modes?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
i dont have it set to powersave. just my notebooks are set to powersave.

its set to be considered idle and go to screensaver after 5 mins when it works corectly

September 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
hmm... this one really has me stumped. so tell me exactly what happens. you say it logs off when it goes idle. like, during the screensaver? or does it just log off and the screensaver doesn't happen?

September 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
it never makes it to the screensaver. after 5mins it goes black,for 15 seconds then blinks twice then its back ot the human themed loginin screen for ubuntu

September 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't know. did you change anything or install anything before this started happening? anything that could have an effect, i mean.

September 23rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
i havnt changed anything. i dont mess with the settings on the desktop too much.....

its got me stumped as well :confused::confused::confused::confused:

September 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
let's experiment. are you able to change your screensaver? if you can, try changing to a different one. maybe your screensaver is crashing something, and it logs you out as a way to 'fix' the crash.

September 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
i got it fixed. or at least a fix for now. i went thru my commands and found the gnome disable screensaver command and now it never goes idle or goes to screensaver. ill juts have to flick the monitor off at nights til li can find a proper fix.

September 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
You can also set your monitor to go to sleep through bios i think

November 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Well, this issue may not be exactly fixed yet..

I have a fresh install of 8.10 and when I start open the screensaver options window, I start clicking on different screensavers to preview and I get booted back into the login screen as well...

I haven't touched any of the powersave settings, and this is the first time i've even opened the screensaver settings window...

Any other ideas?

April 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same behavior. I'm running 8.0.4 with the latest upgrades on a Virtual installation of Ubuntu under Parallels 3 on a MacBook Pro.

I opened the Screensaver preferences to play with the different screensavers. As soon as I selected one, the system kicked me out to the login screen. Now all attempts to open the Screensaver Preferences cause the same thing. If I let the system sit idle for more than 15 minutes, back to the login screen.

On a mac, I would just trash the screensavers plist file. Is there something similar on Ubuntu?

April 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I never really found a solution to this myself, but then again, I just disabled the screensavers anyway, along with all powersaving features, and haven't looked back since. (Yeah, I know, some hippy I am...)

Good luck!