PDA

View Full Version : isometric pixel art program

hyperhopper
September 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
hello, I am trying to learn isometric pixel art, (the most advanced thing I can make is a pyramid/cube), but it seems as if all the programs to use it are for windows(photoshop, graphicsgale mspaint[although bad png saves], and the only Other i know of is Gimp which I cant really even use.

does anybody have a suggestion for a FREE program for linux, or if that fails, at least something good for wine?

hyperhopper
September 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
or at least tell me how to use gimp?

paulmerchant
September 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Inkscape isn't a raster (bitmap/pixel) program, but it's still good at things like isometric icons, etc. Once you've loaded it, select File | New and open one of the icon templates.

Your question about Gimp is probably tongue in cheek, so here's an appropriate answer: start Gimp from your menu, open a canvas, select a brush, and paint.

Genius314
September 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Try Kolourpaint. It's a basic drawing program, like MS Paint, but it's pretty good for pixel art.

hyperhopper
September 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM
ooh-have been doing some reasearch, and found a thing called gimpshop---is it just as good as gimp, but in a different format, or does it lack some of gimp's features?

Merk42
September 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
All GIMPShop does is change the menus around to make it more like photoshop. NOT in terms of features, only in terms of window layout.
It also seems to make GIMP more buggy to, so I'd advise against it.

AJB2K3
September 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
1, Start up gimp,
2, Create new canvas,
3, Choose pencil,
4, Chose brush circle (01)
5, Zoom in to 800%,
6, Start working.

Yes Gimp is rather overkill for Pixelart but it is useable and you can create brushes for sections you need to repeat (figure, object, brick patterns)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/AJB2K3/alpine.png

hyperhopper
September 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
thank you!just one thing, in gimp, is there a way to change the brightness of the current color like the slider bar in mspaint or corel painter X?

EDIT:Also, in the line tool, is there a way to change one of the constrained angles from 30 to 29.565?

digitalis_vulgaris
September 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Very nice job AJB2K3. Great pixel art.

I also using and recommending GIMP for pixel art.

hyperhopper
September 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
gah, when i draw an ISO line, in gimp, how can I copy and flip it?

hyperhopper
September 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
how do you copy and paste selections in gimp?

AJB2K3
September 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
how do you copy and paste selections in gimp?

Use the top left icon called rectangle selection (dotted square) to select the area.
Choose edit>copy from menu,
Go image transform>flip>horizontal,
Then Edit paste,
Pick the cross shaped to to adjust the selection,
Go select>none,
zoom out to check alignment,
Go image transform>flip>horizontal to return to normal angle.

Interesting tip: pro's flip the image several times and it often show up faults you didn't see with the image in the normal position.