PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pre-order the G1 yet?

plb
September 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
It was made available for pre-order this morning. I tried but the upgrade site is down for me =\

will1911a1
September 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
The what?

C!oud
September 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
uhhh G1 what....?

plb
September 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Seriously? OK G1 aka the googlephone aka the HTC Dream aka T-Mobile G1...hope that helps =) Android

will1911a1
September 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Oh.

Nah, I like my phone already, I don't need anything like that.

C!oud
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Seriously? OK G1 aka the googlephone aka the HTC Dream aka T-Mobile G1...hope that helps =) Android

gotcha mate but in reality I could care less what phone I have

Gutt
September 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Even if I wanted I couldn't get it (not distributed by my phone provider :-( ).

amazingtaters
September 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm hoping ATT gets an Android phone out by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, because I'm due to get a new phone just about that time.

damoxc
September 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
gotcha mate but in reality I could care less what phone I have

I believe the phrase is actually "couldn't care less" as you are saying that you do care to a degree.

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Early next year. Don't know what phone, but surely Android.

Gutt
September 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
What's so good about Android ?

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
It's open and backed by a large company. It has lots of interesting features and likely to develop even more interesting features. I think it's a small peek of what Google wants to see in the future.

Mad_Dawg
September 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I have never heard of G1 or Android before. I have a Net10 phone. The only thing I care about is if I can make a phone call. I could not care less if it is cool or has gee-whiz features on it that I will never use. I don't even have my voice mail set up on my phone. I refuse to sign a service contract. I pay $15 a month for my phone. Even then, I roll over minutes every month.

Jimmey
September 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have never heard of G1 or Android before. I have a Net10 phone. The only thing I care about is if I can make a phone call. I could not care less if it is cool or has gee-whiz features on it that I will never use. I don't even have my voice mail set up on my phone. I refuse to sign a service contract. I pay $15 a month for my phone. Even then, I roll over minutes every month.

Why are you posting on this topic then?

On another note, the G1 looks like an iPhone killer. I _hate_ the iPhone.

SeanHodges
September 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Looking forward to the G1, looks like UK might have to wait till October :(

teh'p3nsi0n3r
September 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
i know this phone will most likely be on contract, does anyone know if it will be available on pay as you go?.

Also is it possible to buy the phone seperate? and put android on it myself? i though this would be possible. :)

kevinws
September 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
The G1 looks good to me with three exceptions. No Exchange support as of now. I know that is just an app away. But, for now it is a deal killer. The other two are the 1gb data cap and the funky usb to headphone adapter thing.

It is a great first start. I am going to be following this even closer now since Android is on the market and my phone is on its last leg.

zachtib
September 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I would if I could

NonaWeisbaum
September 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
i know this phone will most likely be on contract, does anyone know if it will be available on pay as you go?.

As of right now, the G1 site (http://t-mobileg1.com/g1-learn-faqs-phone.aspx) says you cannot get it with prepaid service.
Pretty much sign the contract, or go home. :/
I am interested to see how the "unlimited" data bit plays out.
I have a feeling this is either going to be AWESOME or very, extremely opposite of awesome.

Edit: Forgot you cannot use HTML on these boards.

zmjjmz
September 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I might.
I'd have to unlock it though, T-Mobile just doesn't work. But then again, there's little to no chance that Verizon will let it on their network, not to mention there's no 3G for Verizon AFAIK.

legolas_w
September 23rd, 2008, 11:49 PM
I ordered a Samsung i780[1] and I think Android based phone wont get enough 3rd party software to compete with either iPhone of WM based phones at least for 1 year.

The other problem is that, as Android based phones are considered hot, carriers are trying to sell services along with the phone which is not interesting.

Does anyone know whether the Android or WM 6.1 can be synchronized with linux based PIMs?

[1]http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i780-2124.php

zmjjmz
September 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I ordered a Samsung i780[1] and I think Android based phone wont get enough 3rd party software to compete with either iPhone of WM based phones at least for 1 year.

The other problem is that, as Android based phones are considered hot, carriers are trying to sell services along with the phone which is not interesting.

Does anyone know whether the Android or WM 6.1 can be synchronized with linux based PIMs?

[1]http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i780-2124.php

They've left non-Google syncing up to 3rd party developers.

wolfen69
September 24th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I believe the phrase is actually "couldn't care less" as you are saying that you do care to a degree.
that would be correct. "couldn't care less" means you already care the least amount possible. you know what people say when you correct them? "i could care less". :)

as far as the G1, i'll pass. i use my phone for calls, and calls only. don't need anything too fancy.

redonwhite
September 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
It was made available for pre-order this morning. I tried but the upgrade site is down for me =\

Hello,

I got my pre order today. But i havent received my Text confirmation yet =-(((((....i cant waittttttttt.

zmjjmz
September 24th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I rarely use my cellphone for calls, and since the Samsung Juke isn't good for much else, I don't really use it at all.
In reality I would much prefer an internet tablet with mobile broadband and a high degree of openness *coughNokia 9xxcough* to a cellphone of any sort.

Icehuck
September 24th, 2008, 04:08 AM
The G1 from Tmobile is junk. Its got the stupid keyboard that the sidekick has which makes the phone bulky. The front panel doesn't flow well with the screen so its ugly. I also hate the curved shape it has, so it won't sit nice in my pocket.

MJWitter
September 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I have the HTC Touch Diamond which has similar hardware to the G1. I am going to wait until someone ports Android over so i can use it..

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm hoping ATT gets an Android phone out by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, because I'm due to get a new phone just about that time.

Probably not, since they're not a member of Google's Open Handset Alliance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance).

ankursethi
September 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
This is a nice development, but even more interesting is the OpenMoko. Yeah, I know the hardware is crappy and that the software isn't too nice either, but at least it's completely open. Hell, the handset has been designed so you can easily open it and check out the internals.

Unfortunately I can't get either device in India. The G3 hasn't been released in India yet, and the OpenMoko is only available from one dealer in Jaipur.

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Well I ordered it, and I plan to enjoy it.

Its not going to be perfect but it will be the first marketed "Open Source" system out there and that brings awareness, and with awareness brings acceptance. This is a big deal.

p_quarles
September 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Well I ordered it, and I plan to enjoy it.

Its not going to be perfect but it will be the first marketed "Open Source" system out there and that brings awareness, and with awareness brings acceptance. This is a big deal.
I also ordered one, and got my text confirmation this morning. Looking forward to it.

No, it's not the Greatest Thing Evarrr!!! by a long shot, but it is very nice, more open than the iPhone or its clones, and the potential for community development is really exciting

Mainly I just needed a new phone, though. :)

luvdemheels
October 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM
We are right at a week away before it hits the streets. I am not a tmobile customer so I cannot pre order. I am looking forward to someone getting one of these early or something and letting us know how it is.

71CH
October 15th, 2008, 02:29 AM
We are right at a week away before it hits the streets. I am not a tmobile customer so I cannot pre order. I am looking forward to someone getting one of these early or something and letting us know how it is.

Check out androidcommunity.com or tmonews.com
They have some user reviews there
I can't wait for my bronze one to come in :guitar: