PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Download counter

laidback
September 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Is there any application that can monitor/count my download usage. My last bill showed an excess download charge for 23Gb, my normal limit of 4Gb has never been exceeded before so I need to monitor what's going on!

Many thanks

laidback

mevets
September 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
gnome-system-monitor has this functionally, but I think it forgets when you restart. You might want to investigate whether your router can do this or consider installing the tomato firmware if your router supports it. You want to do this at the router level because you might have multiple computers attached to your network and it would not be ideal to have to run network monitoring tools on each computer. Instead you want to do it once, on the router.

laidback
September 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
mevets,

Thanks for that. Problem with gnome-system-monitor is as you suggest plus doesn't it measure all activity on the internet, so any www visit generates more for sent/received counters. I'm not sure that this is the same as what I'm paying extra for, which is called Excess Download. I liken this to downloading a new version of Ubuntu from the mirrors rather than just looking at the Forum for example. When I spoke to my supplier today this certainly was the message I was getting. They asked whether I had downloaded lots of music or films.

mevets
September 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
you also might to ask your isp if there is a page you can login to to check your usage. Some isp's do not do this, but it really is esential that they do.

laidback
September 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
There are complaints that this facility is not provided by my ISP. I'm told they're looking into it. Really annoying getting a bill for something that you cannot monitor and never expected.

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
you also might to ask your isp if there is a page you can login to to check your usage. Some isp's do not do this, but it really is esential that they do.

There are complaints that this facility is not provided by my ISP. I'm told they're looking into it. Really annoying getting a bill for something that you cannot monitor and never expected.

I agree that a page showing usage can be useful - the ISP I use has one. They also have an option to email you when you've reached something like 80% of your monthly allowance, and then again when you've exceeded your monthly allowance.

laidback
September 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
lisati,

That sounds great. I've never been in this situation before so haven't even considered the issue, you live and learn.