PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating to a new HDD from dualboot.

shafin
September 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi,
Currently I'm using a 80GB HDD. It has Windows XP, Windows Vista and Intrepid Ibex installed (Though I seldom use XP and Vista). Now I've bought a 250 GB one, and want to give the 80GB one to someone else. How can I copy the contents of the 80GB Disk to the 250GB Disk so that I can use all the installed operating systems from the new HDD without going through the pain to install them all again? And I had severe disk space problems on some of my old partitions, so I'll need bigger partitions in the new Disk.For instance,my ubuntu partition is 8GB, in my new drive I want it to be 40GB. All the other drives should be resized,too.

And here is the main problem, I dont have a working Floppy/CD/DVD drive. I have a pen drive, but I've never been able to boot from it, although my MB is supposed to support this.
I tried GPartED,but I don't think it supports copying NTFS partitions.

Thanks for helping

wolfen69
September 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
try Partimage (http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page) to copy the drive. then you can use Gparted to expand the partitions.

shafin
September 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Tried that already,I'm lost on it.

Have any of you done this already? How did you do this?

caljohnsmith
September 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
And here is the main problem, I dont have a working Floppy/CD/DVD drive. I have a pen drive, but I've never been able to boot from it, although my MB is supposed to support this.

You are at a big disadvantage since you can't boot from a CD/DVD nor your USB. How did you install Windows/Ubuntu to begin with? And if anything goes wrong with any of your OSes where you can't boot into them, how do you repair them?

shafin
September 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
You are at a big disadvantage since you can't boot from a CD/DVD nor your USB. How did you install Windows/Ubuntu to begin with? And if anything goes wrong with any of your OSes where you can't boot into them, how do you repair them?
Well, I had a DVD drive when I installed them..and it gave away later. I just keep upgrading ubuntu, if its botched, I try the terminal way. As I have stated earlier, I do not use XP/Vista much, so I cant really screw them.

Actually, I thought of buying a DVD writer, and then said to me..all the stuff that I can get via a DVD are now a days accessible via the internet, so who needs one?

Therion
September 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Use one of those hard drive duplicators... I have one for just such occasions as this.

I'm pretty sure it's this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002) but there are several out there that do the same thing. Very handy!!