PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help for PS3 Ubuntu!

aeubz
September 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi I'm new to all of this and I'm switching from YDL. I was wondering for my PS3, which one of the following I should install. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Edubuntu. And whats the difference between them? Also, whats the difference between the non-live and alternative? I'm reading and getting info from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3 .

Which link do I use ???? :)

tuxxy
September 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I would go with Ubuntu as I prefer the GNOME desktop, Kubuntu provides the KDE and xubuntu is a lighter version of ubuntu great for older hardware

The Live CD lets you run Ubuntu first without installing it, great for trialing the OS. Your PS3 should be capable of running any so its up to you.

tarps87
September 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
The none-live and alternative cd's are the same thing, they are text based installers. Which version of Ubuntu you use is up to you, id suggest Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu. Edubuntu is more based towards schools.
Ubuntu is the default with the gnome environment
Kubuntu uses the kde environment
Xubuntu uses xfce and is designed for slower systems.

I plan to install Ubuntu this weekend when I get my ps3 :)

Edit: If you are using a standard TV (not HD) you should use the alternative/none-live cd to install it

damis648
September 23rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have Ubuntu installed on my PS3, it works quite well... of course, on hi-def because 640x480 is not exactly useful... :-). Just have a look at the Wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3), and I would reccomend Ubuntu Gnome because its not too light or not too heavy for a PS3 (it only has 512MB RAM). The reason, by the way, only 7.10 is on the wiki is because 8.04 is not available for PS3. Sorry.

damis648
September 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Edit: If you are using a stranded TV (not HD) you should use the alternative/none-live cd to install it

My TV got lost on an island for many months without food or water. :-) Seriously though, I don't think it is even worth it to install Ubuntu with a Standard-Def TV... the resolution is just too low.

tarps87
September 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
You didn't see that ;)
The Ubuntu 8.04 release should on the powerpc but this has not been released yet

damis648
September 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
You didn't see that ;)
The Ubuntu 8.04 release should on the powerpc but this has not been released yet

It is already for PowerPC but the disc has to have some special boot information on it for the Game OS to read so it knows how to boot. The 8.04 PowerPC disc does not have this, only the 7.10. You could try loading the Game OS files from the 7.10 PS3 CD when it asks you to and you could try to boot the 8.04 PowerPC CD... I don't think it would work though.

tarps87
September 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
You can use the petitboot otheros.bld with the current PowerPC image, there were/ are plans to build it into the Hardy Heron release of PowerPC, but it may be on the 8.10 (ibex) release instead.
Ubuntu 8.04 on the ps3 and it still has quite a few bugs so Ubuntu 7.10 is the probably the best way to go, but it is available for debugging