PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost bar from screen

Peterfc
September 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi All

Don't know what has happened or how to fix. I have lost the bar that sits at the bottom of the screen. When i close down a program it normally sits on the screen bar waiting to reopen but the bar has gone.

Is it possible to have the Applications bar at the bottom of the screen instead of the top.

Thanks for reading this thread.

bumanie
September 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
If the top bar is still there, right click on it and choose 'new panel'. You can then drag that down to the bottom of the screen. Alternatively, if you don't want a top panel, you should be able to drag it to the bottom of the screen with all its icons still there.

Orange_and_Green
September 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Once you have created the new panel as bumanie explained, you can right-click it, select "Add to panel" and choose any applet you'd like to see on it. I believe you are missing the "Window List" applet.

Have a nice day:)

Peterfc
September 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you advised. But i do not seem to be able to get the bar that has my waste basket on. Is the New panel feature where i would find the waste basket?. When i click on new panel i get a new panel at the bottom of the screen but it has no waste basket on.

Orange_and_Green
September 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
right-click -> Add to panel -> Trash

You can then right-click the trash icon and "move" it to the far right of the panel, and then "lock to panel" if you like. Also, if you want to restore the panel to the exact original, be sure to add the "Show Desktop" applet on the far left and the "Window List" right next to it.

Have fun:)

EDIT: Oh, and the Workspace switcher on the left of the waste bin...

kansasnoob
September 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you advised. But i do not seem to be able to get the bar that has my waste basket on. Is the New panel feature where i would find the waste basket?. When i click on new panel i get a new panel at the bottom of the screen but it has no waste basket on.

Look at mine:

I always customize the top panel (just click on add to panel), then delete the bottom panel, and then move the top panel to the bottom (because I'm a blind old fart and have trouble seeing the top panel without breaking my neck).

My trash applet is missing because I'm running Intrepid and trash keeps crashing (known bug). The temp applet is computertemp which has to be added from synaptic.