PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Network Manager...Where Is It?

bobby_fabulous
September 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ok I just installed 8.04 x64 on my notebook and followed a guide I found to install Network Manager, I went to synaptic package manager, searched for "network manager", chose to install it and it now shows as installed in the package list but how in the heck do I open it so that I can use it? I have searched high and low, preferences, administration, clicked the network tray icon and nothing. How do I access this Network Manager so I can view available networks?

Thanks

Orange_and_Green
September 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hello :)

NetworkManager should be installed by default, there's no need to install it via Synaptic...

anyway, NetworkManager by itself is a command-line program, it resides in /sbin/NetworkManager. Its gui frontend is nm-applet. In the default installation, there should be an icon on the right side of the top panel showing two black monitors one in front of another. Click on that.

If for some reason you don't have this icon, type

nm-applet &
in a terminal and it will start. If you don't have it, you might want to add nm-applet to your session.

Good luck:KS

jemate18
September 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Ok I just installed 8.04 x64 on my notebook and followed a guide I found to install Network Manager, I went to synaptic package manager, searched for "network manager", chose to install it and it now shows as installed in the package list but how in the heck do I open it so that I can use it? I have searched high and low, preferences, administration, clicked the network tray icon and nothing. How do I access this Network Manager so I can view available networks?

Thanks

did it installed successfully?

try this to verify

dpkg --get-selections | grep -i "network-manager"

it should output this

network-manager install
network-manager-gnome install

if not, then it wasnt installed

bobby_fabulous
September 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hello :)

NetworkManager should be installed by default, there's no need to install it via Synaptic...

anyway, NetworkManager by itself is a command-line program, it resides in /sbin/NetworkManager. Its gui frontend is nm-applet. In the default installation, there should be an icon on the right side of the top panel showing two black monitors one in front of another. Click on that.

If for some reason you don't have this icon, type

nm-applet &
in a terminal and it will start. If you don't have it, you might want to add nm-applet to your session.

ok I have that icon but when I open it it does not show all my available wireless networks which is what I'm after so I can find a network to connect to.

thanks

bobby_fabulous
September 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
did it installed successfully?

try this to verify

dpkg --get-selections | grep -i "network-manager"

it should output this

if not, then it wasnt installed

yes they verify as installed

Idefix82
September 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Could you type in the terminal

lshw -C network
and post the output here?

Orange_and_Green
September 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
ok I have that icon but when I open it it does not show all my available wireless networks which is what I'm after so I can find a network to connect to.

thanks

Just to clarify, when you click on that famous icon, does it say "wireless networks -> No networks available" (which would mean your system is aware it has a wireless network adapter, and can't find networks) or doesn't it talk about wireless at all?

Also, a silly little thing that is often overlooked... If you are using a notebook, more often than not they come with a small button/switch that allows you to cut the power from the network adapter if you don't need it. Have you made sure that button/switch is on?

bobby_fabulous
September 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Just to clarify, when you click on that famous icon, does it say "wireless networks -> No networks available" (which would mean your system is aware it has a wireless network adapter, and can't find networks) or doesn't it talk about wireless at all?

Also, a little silly thing that is often overlooked... If you are using a notebook, more often than not they come with a small button/switch that allows you to cut the power from the network adapter if you don't need it. Have you made sure that button/switch is on?

ok this may sound odd but i changed the default theme while waiting for response and I just clicked the network icon again and all of a sudden wireless networks are now shown...:S

maybe network manager only works when it wants to?

lol in any event i changed theme to "glossy p" and all of a sudden poof there they are.

strange but im happy nonetheless.

thank you for all of the response, im sure you will hear from this noob again :P

billgoldberg
September 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
ok this may sound odd but i changed the default theme while waiting for response and I just clicked the network icon again and all of a sudden wireless networks are now shown...:S

maybe network manager only works when it wants to?

lol in any event i changed theme to "glossy p" and all of a sudden poof there they are.

strange but im happy nonetheless.

thank you for all of the response, im sure you will hear from this noob again :P

Glad to hear that.

Even though I highly doubt changing a theme has any impact at all on network manager.

Could you mark this thread as solved?