PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ok i need

millz123
September 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
alright i need a brief run down on how 2 use ubuntu like how can i get window programs to work with ubuntu plus game est. all that good stuff for windows

TriSwords
September 23rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Windows programs dont run natively on Linux. However you can try programs like Wine to emulate windows.

What type of programs do you want to run? Check out http://appdb.winehq.org/ too see if the Windows programs you want to run will work.

If you plan on using the machine as a gaming heavy machine stick with Windows. My desktop is my gaming machine and runs 64 bit Vista. My laptop comes to classes and work with me and runs Linux a majority of the time. I find it great for day to day stuff since the only Window program I have on there is Pokerstars. Other games like World of Warcraft will run also, but you will have to change a few settings in Wine to make them work.

Your other option is a Virtual Machine of windows if you need applications that WINE does not support. VirtualBox has a seamless mode that works decently (As long as desktop effects are off). That integrates the Windows start bar into your Ubuntu desktop. It also works fairly well run as full screen (no noticeable lag).

linux5uper
September 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
I think it would be helpful to read up the official documentation on Wine

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

it explains how to install it, etc.

skippuff54
September 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
a program called wine is what u need to get many windows executables to run. it emulates a c:\ drive

however take a look at what's come packaged with ubuntu. most app needs are covered by linux programs. unless there's somethin very particular you need to run, u should be able to find a solid linux equivalent in ubuntu.

ubuntu typically comes with software for internet/communications, office, media (photos, music, movies etc), programming and the list goes on and on.

check synaptic package manger (under system > administration) to install packages (aka programs) that accomplish your tasks.

sometimes, you won't be able to find packages that you need in the repositories, and you'll have to download tarred (compressed) files and install yourself. most programs have documentation that explains how to do it.

fyi ubuntu is a debian distribution, if you're ever wondering.

as for games, i can't help you much there but there is a gaming forum on these boards. some games will work in wine, some won't so you need to take it on a case by case basis, and search the forums. it seems like i've seen issues come up with directX...