PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with 2gig EEE PC installation

climber514
September 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
Hello All!

I am pulling what little hair I have left out trying to install ubunto on my new eee pc.

ee pc - 2gig

- I downloaded the iso and create the boot cd
- upon boot up I choose to install ubunto
After I install it it only wants to run off the CD and it is using 1.7gigs worth of space, so I am guessing that there are still files lingering from the default OS

Question:
How do I wipe out the 2gigs of space and have the OS only run off the PC instead of the CD. I dont want to boot off anything other then the the PC itself.

Thanks in advance!

Peace
Phil

overdrank
September 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hello All!

I am pulling what little hair I have left out trying to install ubunto on my new eee pc.

ee pc - 2gig

- I downloaded the iso and create the boot cd
- upon boot up I choose to install ubunto
After I install it it only wants to run off the CD and it is using 1.7gigs worth of space, so I am guessing that there are still files lingering from the default OS

Question:
How do I wipe out the 2gigs of space and have the OS only run off the PC instead of the CD. I dont want to boot off anything other then the the PC itself.

Thanks in advance!

Peace
Phil

Hi and welcome, I may be mistaken but I thought the installation needed 4gigs of space.
Moved to ABT

climber514
September 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hey there,

Thanks for the quick response

It's a 700meg file that was downloaded. Not to seem naive, but that turns into a 4 gig installation? If that is the case, I guess I will have to turn to a usb stick or flash card. darn

fmartinez
September 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
I think what they mean is Ubuntu needs at least 4 GB of disk space to install on.

climber514
September 23rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
argh - well off to futureshop to get a usb key. I am not lugging around a portable cd rom because the one that i am using is like a tank lol.

Great response time guys - that is awesome!!!

Peace

Phil

wolfen69
September 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi and welcome, I may be mistaken but I thought the installation needed 4gigs of space.
Moved to ABT

that would be correct. you need 4 gb of space to use regular ubuntu. i installed DebianEeePC (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC). but you must do a minimal install and add a gui. plus it is not a newb friendly install. there is also Pupeee (http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old-wikka-wikki/everything-else/pupeee) which runs super fast on the eeepc. you are going to be limited as to what you can install with only 2 gb of space.

cobra741
September 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
Have a look here
http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

it's an ubuntu distribution customized specifically for the EeePC's

i've got it on mine and it works a treat!
only thing is i'm not too sure if you'll be able to get it working on a 2GB EeePC. i have the 4GB EeePC and I think i had about 1.2 GB free after install.

Get yourself a 4GB SDHC Card and install it on that if you have no luck getting it installed on the 2GB Drive.

Another resource that would be worth a look is http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
it has instructions on how to create bootable USB Sticks etc so it might do the job for you until you can get yourself a nice big SDHC card :)

Hope this help you out mate :)

wolfen69
September 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
argh - well off to futureshop to get a usb key. I am not lugging around a portable cd rom because the one that i am using is like a tank lol.

Great response time guys - that is awesome!!!

Peace

Phil

i tried ubuntu on a usb thumbdrive, and it was VERY slow. almost to the point of being unusable. took a full 5 min. to boot.

cobra741
September 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
thought i might add that the new version of Ubuntu Eee now fully supports the 2g EeePC.

i just did a fresh install and it's grand! the new interface is so easy to use and i've actually got over 2gb free on my 4gb EeePC so you should be sweet to go with that (if you haven't already purchased your schmick new SC Card.. in which case you'll actually be able to user Hibernate as you'll have enough free space on the card to mount it ((or part of it)) as a swap drive)

so either way... YOU WIN!!! :lolflag:

uberdonkey5
September 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
thought i might add that the new version of Ubuntu Eee now fully supports the 2g EeePC.

i just did a fresh install and it's grand! the new interface is so easy to use and i've actually got over 2gb free on my 4gb EeePC so you should be sweet to go with that (if you haven't already purchased your schmick new SC Card.. in which case you'll actually be able to user Hibernate as you'll have enough free space on the card to mount it ((or part of it)) as a swap drive)

so either way... YOU WIN!!! :lolflag:

does EVERYTHING work?? Also, is there any advantage over Xandros?? Thinking of doing the same but Xandros seems pretty stable. Also, you know if you can set it up so that 'factory reset' actually resets to the eee pc ubuntu?? (or would that be too good to be true). What is the boot up time for eee pc ubuntu as well (for Xandros its about 30 secs)