PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no log in, no desktop, only a blinking cursor

michael e
September 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Greetings:

Was given a Ubuntu computer, loaded with Ubuntu 7.10. Have heard great things about them & have no Linux experience. AND although I cannot find the info that I need in the archives I am sure that this has been asked countless times before, so my apologies in advance.

I was given the Ubuntu log-in & password as well as the giver's MySQL password. The cursor is now blinking away awaiting the proper command. Can someone please tell me how to get the really nice system with the great looking desktop windows activated. I am a bit frustrated.

Thank you, in advance,
Michael

jemate18
September 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Greetings:

Was given a Ubuntu computer, loaded with Ubuntu 7.10. Have heard great things about them & have no Linux experience. AND although I cannot find the info that I need in the archives I am sure that this has been asked countless times before, so my apologies in advance.

I was given the Ubuntu log-in & password as well as the giver's MySQL password. The cursor is now blinking away awaiting the proper command. Can someone please tell me how to get the really nice system with the great looking desktop windows activated. I am a bit frustrated.

Thank you, in advance,
Michael

Correct me if I didnt catch it.

1. You have been given a computer loaded with Ubuntu 7.10

2. Upon booting, you have supplied your Username and Password

Did the system logged you in?

Where did this blinking screen appeared?

willca
September 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hello

If jemate18 questions are "yes" then I will try to figure out if my system actually has "X" installed.

Simply if you gotten a shell session, just type startx and see what happens.

If it fails. Paste the error message here if possible.

kansasnoob
September 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Sorry to say it but if you have the user name and password you should be able to do whatever!

I think it's inadvisable to give someone hints about hacking Ubuntu!

I mean if you get a new machine (new to you) just reinstall!

Otherwise what old files do you want to see?