PDA

View Full Version : Crash during install of Ubuntu 8.1 Ibex

dakkar9999
September 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hello,

as I was getting my feet wet in the linux world, I had installed Ubuntu 8.04 through wubi. It was working fine, except it hanged a few times. I suspect the video card (ATI X1650) but I do not know if there is a way to prove it. Fast forward to version 8.1

I followed the instruction to upgrade using the command line. No problem. While it was installing, I went ahead and tried to close a program that was still open (Firefox I believe). It caused the computer to hang. I still suspect the video card because there seemed to be a few corrupt pixels.

Now my problem is as follow. It does not boot properly. I tried to boot in safe mode which takes me to a prompt (ask for user/password), but I don't know how to load the graphic interface. If I try the fix boot, it does not seem to pick up any error.

Any suggestion either to roll back to 8.04 or to salvage 8.10?

Thanks!

overdrank
September 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Moved to Intrepid Ibex Testing and Discussion :)

Tatty
September 23rd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Any suggestion either to roll back to 8.04 or to salvage 8.10?

If you want a stable system then I would recommend going back to 8.04 for now, and trying ibex again after it has had a final release (end of october).

Either way, it would be a good idea to back up any of your valuable data now before doing anything else.

As it crashed halfway through an upgrade, I suspect that you may struggle to get this up and running again without a re-install. However you might want to try running:

sudo apt-get install -f and see if that picks up where it got lost....

dakkar9999
September 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Did not help. Ok, here a re a few error messages I could pick up.

"Cannot remove /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* no such file or directory"
"Cannot remove /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/* no such file or directory"

when I tried the "sudo apt-get install -f" I get could not resolve us.archive.ubuntu.com

when booting i also get "no final line in etc/fstab

then just a black screen.

If I do Ctrl-alt-del, it goes, "stoping gnome display manager" and goes on to a proper restart.

Should I just go back through the wubi install?

dakkar9999
September 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Well. I did it again. I started back from a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04 (using wubi) then did the upgrade to 8.1

Again, it hangs on startup. First, it takes a long time when it hits activating swapfile (+-1min) but then continues.

After it gives an error message with "no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab" but still contines

But, instead of going to the gui desktop, I get the user/password asked from the command line and it stays at the command line at the root of c:\

Any idea?

alphacrucis2
September 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Well. I did it again. I started back from a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04 (using wubi) then did the upgrade to 8.1

Again, it hangs on startup. First, it takes a long time when it hits activating swapfile (+-1min) but then continues.

After it gives an error message with "no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab" but still contines

But, instead of going to the gui desktop, I get the user/password asked from the command line and it stays at the command line at the root of c:\

Any idea?

How about typing init 5 or maybe startx?

You could try downloading the 8.10 ISO and installing from scratch.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha6

dakkar9999
September 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Maybe Ibex is not fonctional with wubi at the moment?