PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Shell Word Processing

mjewell
September 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
What's the best way to do word processing from the shell? Antiword? Lyx? Perl scripts? One can do any other GUI task from the shell. Can word processing be done from the shell too? The objective would be to format text files for printing the sort of heavily formatted documents that would be filed in Court or made into a masters thesis. Has anyone solved this problem already? Ideas?

DGortze380
September 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
What's the best way to do word processing from the shell? Antiword? Lyx? Perl scripts? One can do any other GUI task from the shell. Can word processing be done from the shell too? The objective would be to format text files for printing the sort of heavily formatted documents that would be filed in Court or made into a masters thesis. Has anyone solved this problem already? Ideas?

Supposedly vim can do this. Never been bored/disturbed enough to try it. (no offense).

mjewell
September 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM
None taken. :) Can you point me to a tutorial or howto so I can read how to try it out? Thanks in advance.

tuxxy
September 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
vim should be installed by default, to run type vim in a terminal

Heres a user-guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VimHowto)

taladan
September 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM
vim is kind of heavy duty for a new user. If you want a step by step introduction to vim, go to your command line and type:

vimtutor

It will walk you through the basics of how to use vim.

Conversely, I am a vim user and I use it every single day, without fail - it's quite the powerful little editor.

Tal

mjewell
September 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you!