PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Preparation/protection for unexpected power outages

Rhythmdvl
September 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
In our small home office, my wife and I are working off a PC and a Mac. Our Linux box is going to be used as a file server, running two drives in RAID(1).

I’d like to protect against data loss/corruption if power goes out when we’re not around to shut things down manually. Right now it’s plugged into the same UPS as the Winbox, but the UPS (an APC BX-1000) will only communicate with one device at a time, and their software doesn’t work with Linux (per APC tech support).

Is there a software solution? That is, can I park(?) or put the drives to sleep(?) on an idle-for-longer-than basis so that an unexpected powering down can’t cause any data loss or corruption? Remember, it’s on a UPS now, so brief power outages won’t matter, just those where we aren’t around to shut things down manually. The only software actively running on the Linux box will be backup software in the background and sending files over the LAN at night.

If there is no technological solution, is there an inexpensive UPS that will gracefully shut down Linux? Other than the drives, there are no peripherals attached (no monitor, cards, etc.,) and it’s just a 350-Watt power supply.

Thanks,

Rhythm

hyper_ch
September 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
get a UPS for the server and get a UPS that will power down the computer...