PDA

View Full Version : Java Programming Software for Linux?



Changturkey
September 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
I am enrolled in a CS course in my high school, where they are teaching us Java and the software they use is Windows only. However, since Java is apparently a cross platform language, one should be able to develop regardless of OS. So, any suggestions for a Java newb?

bsharp
September 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Look into the Eclipse IDE, from what I've heard, it's pretty good.

Tomosaur
September 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I am enrolled in a CS course in my high school, where they are teaching us Java and the software they use is Windows only. However, since Java is apparently a cross platform language, one should be able to develop regardless of OS. So, any suggestions for a Java newb?

There is a programming subforum full of info about IDEs and stuff - but for a quick answer - use either Netbeans or Eclipse. Netbeans is the 'official' Java IDE from Sun (the company who develop Java itself) - and Eclipse is very, VERY polished IDE which many people prefer over Netbeans for various reasons.

Either way, both are very good for Java development, and both support other languages via plugins.

mihai007
September 22nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I made this software using only Eclipse with it's SWT library: www.jkiwi.com
Only java there...

oh and of course 99.98% of the time Ubuntu, the other 0.02% was used to create the windows installer in XP :P