PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best visual effects/ gaming Linux

mohitsewak
September 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
hi people! i am am an avid windows vista user and software developer, have never used linux ever before, and want to give it a try. what i have gained from internet communities is that openSUSE and ubuntu are the two most popular distributions till date. i want a version that can give vista a run for its money in terms of eye candy, customization, aero/dream scene and quality of games. which distribution u recommend to me (from the 400+ existing distributions that i have come to know). i know this is a ubuntu community, but still give an unbiased opinion.

lazyart
September 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Any distro with Compiz/Fusion (referred to as "desktop effects" in ubuntu) will give plenty of eye candy. Throw in AWN for a Mac-like dock and it's as pretty as can be. Search youtube for compiz and you'll get an idea. There is a whole subforum here aimed and desktop customization that will give more options.

Games? Eh... most of us don't come to Linux for games. :D

Mornedhel
September 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
i want a version that can give vista a run for its money in terms of [...] quality of games

Uhhh, you may want to come back later for games. Say, in 2020. Gaming on Linux, while possible (and fun) is nowhere near gaming on Windows.

For all the rest (eyecandy, customization...), the largest distributions are equivalent. Ubuntu is the easiest to install and use. Debian is a bit more serious and free-software-oriented ; Gentoo (aka. the distribution that most contributes to global warming) is for power users ; Mandriva and Fedora Core are, uh, average (I dunno, I never really used them) ; Slackware is for tinkerers...

Games? Eh... most of us don't come to Linux for games

C'mon, NetHack is the best game ever !