PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Completitng New Dual Boot Setup

BPMOU
September 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Great Forum!

I have completed a dual boot Vista Home Premium/ubuntu box with Vista on a 320GB SATA drive and ubuntu on a 160GB SATA drive. I think I have everything up and running but I do have a question. After using ubuntu Heron 8.04 over the weekend, I would like to try and use ubuntu 90% and Vista 10%. To do that I will need to migrate a lot of my files from outlook, docs, pics, mp3 over to the new drive. I don't want to access the Vista HD through ubuntu as I fear I may mess something up.

I have a backup of the Vista drive on a 500GB external Maxtor onetouch drive. I am thinking that the external drive is formatted as NFTS. What is the best way for me to be able to use the external drive and a "network" drive for both systems without mixing the two any thoughts??

Thank you in advance.

Het Irv
September 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Just to let you know, you SHOULDN'T mess anything up by accessing your Vista drive from Ubuntu, but if you don't want to risk it, I would say have everything backup to the external drive and let both OS's access that same drive. Just make sure that you properly disconnect the drive in Vista otherwise Ubuntu may have problems accessing it.

BPMOU
September 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I would go about disconnecting the external drive from Vista?

Het Irv
September 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
You have probably done it before, the Safely Remove Hardware Dialog. There should be an icon at the bottom near the clock. The same as it would be in XP.

uberdonkey5
September 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Just to let you know, you SHOULDN'T mess anything up by accessing your Vista drive from Ubuntu.

I did it regularly for around a year and never had any problem (I effectively stopped using vista but had to access the available space and I couldn't be bothered changing the partition)

Het Irv
September 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I did it regularly for around a year and never had any problem (I effectively stopped using vista but had to access the available space and I couldn't be bothered changing the partition)

I have the same result for me, but there the small, small chance that it may mess with something.