PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Volume controls appear to work but in fact, don't.

jtreach
September 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
The volume controls on my Dell Studio 15 appear to work but in fact they don't. When I press them I get the nice icon telling me that the volume is being decreased but nothing happens. If I double click the volume controls and move the slider labeled 'Front' then the volume will decrease/increase. How can I fix this so that the volume keys work?

Thanks in advance.

superm1
September 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
The volume controls on my Dell Studio 15 appear to work but in fact they don't. When I press them I get the nice icon telling me that the volume is being decreased but nothing happens. If I double click the volume controls and move the slider labeled 'Front' then the volume will decrease/increase. How can I fix this so that the volume keys work?

Thanks in advance.
Right click the volume applet and hit preferences. Change it to be the front mixer instead of the master mixer.

jtreach
September 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, that works if I use the volume applet in the corner but my volume buttons are still controlling the master somehow.

quat
September 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Try going to System>Preferences>Sound. Look at the "Default Mixer Tracks." I selected Master, Front and PCM, so that the media buttons control all three simultaneously.

jtreach
September 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks buddy! Worked a treat! :D