PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Need help fixing upgrade goof, Can newly installed ver.8 be move?

jlo-nypr
September 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi: I am at my work computer. It has 2 hard drives. I had one hard drive with Win XP, the other with Ubuntu 7. I work for a school which means that some other than I controls the fire wall--. Sooo, I could not get 7 to install the upgrades. My solution download newest ver. at home and do a new install at work. :lolflag:

Install went well--, but it installed and formated over Win XP hard drive, not Ubuntu 7 like I thought I had instructed it to do. My question is can I move the new ver 8 over the old ver 7 so that I can install Win XP? Or do I have to format all drives and start from stratch?

:)Thanks for any aid given.

OldGrey
September 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry to say, but this sounds like a start from scratch scenario. If you do, install XP first. If you do it 2nd it will likely overight your grub.

jlo-nypr
September 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Thought so, But since I am new to Linux and have heard some much black magic being done with it thought I would give it a try--.

I'll need to bring in my XP disk in from home and do the new formates tomorrow. Luckly I have over 80 XP boxes to work from so that I can keep this as a pure Ubuntu box for a day or two.

By the way, my real goal is to have an Ubuntu server running. Any ideas on the best way to do that?:popcorn:

jlo-nypr
September 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
By the way, the way I fixed this was to get a "ghost" image from an other PC in my lab and re-image the "NT" drive. That got me Win XP running. Next, I used a the "Trying to Dual Boot using two HD's" from the forums to install grub. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120994

Does anyone know if having two identical harddrives with the same box I can use Ubuntu to move the image from one PC to the other with out using "Ghost"?

Thanks.