PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Security - Virus protection

beeky
September 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I am completely new to Linux but am desperately to try and make the transition from windows. My first, probably fairly basic question is:

I have both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) on my hard disk. With windows I use the full version of AVG for security. My question is do I need anti virus software when logged into Ubuntu?

Beeky

expatCM
September 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think the answer is generally no since most virus infections target Windows.

You may however want to put some protection in place if you receive and forward email attachments from Windows users to Windows users just to stop spreading the virus and malware in the files that they innocently send to you ....

73ckn797
September 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
No, you do not.

That was one thing that I wondered about initially and I did install Avast. I soon found that it was just sitting there doing nothing.

I have performed a scan but nothing was found. That was after a couple of weeks of using Ubuntu.

No one is attacking it like they are windows.

gandaran
September 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
no you don't need, but you can install the free AVG linux antivirus
it only scans for windows virus which won't affect linux even if you have a infected file, the virus just sits there.

if it's protection for ubuntu you want then install rkhunter (in synaptic) this command line application runs daily and scans for linux virus and rootkits

billgoldberg
September 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
No.

I presume you are not going to run any kind of server so you are good.

--

If you have downloaded files on Ubuntu and need them on Windows, it would be wise to install a ext3 driver for windows and use that OS to transfer the files. So you anti-virus can kick in.

It could be that you have downloaded files with viruses in on Ubuntu. These viruses will just sit there on you Ubuntu partition, not doing anything. But on Windows those could wreak havoc.

3rdalbum
September 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
In my signature is a link called "How to install anti-virus programs on Linux" which explains why you don't need an antivirus program on Linux.

Enjoy your extra CPU speed :-)