PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Equivalent of Windows Task Manager?

lavadisco
September 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
When a program goes on the fritz, I sometimes cannot for the life of me find the "force quit" function no matter where I look. Is there the equivalent of a Windows task manager in Ubuntu? Or perhaps a keystroke that will allow me to force-quit an app?

nowshining
September 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
have u tried system monitor -that and there should be an applet to add right-click add to panel and find something called xkill, kill, quit, force quit, or something as i don't use gnome but have and forgotten the name of it...

or in a terminal try the command xkill then move the now eXed cursor over the program u'd like to force quit..

U can also quit from the terminal as well

killall nameofprogram and add sudo infront of that if the program wasn't started from u, etc..

then u got killall -9 then the name of the program and same as above but the -9 does a force kill while just killall tires to shut it down gracefully and now if you get into a real jam, freeze, try ctrl+alt+backspace on ur keyboard to force a logout and re-login and everything should be fine..

thunk77
September 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hello,

You can either open up a terminal and type "killall [Name Of Application], or Alt+F2 and do as above.
Hope this is helpful.

Best Regards

thunk

ghostdog74
September 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
When a program goes on the fritz, I sometimes cannot for the life of me find the "force quit" function no matter where I look. Is there the equivalent of a Windows task manager in Ubuntu? Or perhaps a keystroke that will allow me to force-quit an app?

use the command line ps. Then check which pid the process takes, then issue kill -9 <pid>

prshah
September 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM

Right click any of the panels, then click "Add" and choose the applet "Force quit". When next an application misbehaves, click the "Force quit" icon on the panel (the cursor changes to a crosshair) and then click anywhere in the misbehaving (probably grey) application window. It will forcibly close down the application after confirmation.

Of course the other tips in this thread are handy as well (what will you do if the "panel" itself misbehaves :) )

Also, if you have the system-monitor applet running, you can click on it for a "windows task-manager"-like window, Right click the process you want to kill (probably having status of "Zombie") and choose "Kill process".

schmick
September 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
There are 2 aproaches:
Windows-like-taskmanager (gnome-system-monitor)
Press ALT-F2
Type gnome-system-monitor
Press Enter
There you got it!..
Go to the process tab
Find the offending app, and RightClick-End Process. (that's the nice way.)
App won't go? KILL IT!
Still there?.. hmm.. it's a Zombie (Check Status column)
Then press Ctrl-D (show dependencies)
Find the Parent process, and END/KILL that one. (Be carefull with what you kill).

Command line approach
Open a Terminal
Type ps aux|grep <badd app name> (i.e ps aux|grep wine)
The second column is your PID (process ID)
Try to end it nicely with kill <pid> (i.e. kill 23912)
Search for it again (the ps aux thing)
Still there? KILL it until it's dead!... with a stone or something.. (KungPow I)
type kill -9 <pid> (I guess you get the idea now).

OK. Homework.
┐How to get the PPID (Parent) of a PID?
Read the manual!
Type man ps and see what you have to type to get the PPID of a zombie.

lazyart
September 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
System>Administration>System Monitor

natman
September 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
i always open a terminal and

Loads of detail and friendly, also in KDE there is a nice system trap applet for usuage

jemate18
September 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
to find out process running

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

then find the process id.

to scroll press > or <

if you found the process id and want to quit

type q

then type

kill -s 9 theprocessid

lavadisco
September 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks very much guys!

brawnypandora0
May 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM
DO these commands apply for all Linux distributions, or just Ubuntu?