PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OpenOffice.org updates

Georgia boy
September 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I have a quick question for you on the OpenOffice.org. When the new updated version is finally released will we be automatically updated like with the other things or will that have to wait until later?
Sorry, I was just wondering because they are supposed to be releasing the3.0 version of OpenOffice.org sometime.
Thanks
Tom

MegaJim
September 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM
Before each major release of Ubuntu, the distribution goes into "feature freeze" which means all the effort is concentrated on getting what's currently in the distro to work flawlessly. Major version changes don't happen until the next release and integrating new versions takes a large investment of time.

So in all likelihood we won't see OpenOffice 3 until Jaunty Jackolope (9.04)

Of course this doesn't stop you from buliding OO from source yourself on release day if you're that kind of a guy.

MegaJim
September 22nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
A quick search on the ubuntu wiki yielded this document: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-Intrepid/Report/Platform#OpenOffice.org%20upload%20schedule

It estimates oo3 could be available 1 week before milestone release - the oo3 wiki estimates the end of september for oo3 final release.

Its a very tight schedule but it is possible it may get into Ibex, even as an alpha if it is stable enough; I wouldn't hold out for it though.

Georgia boy
September 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the information. I was just curious as to when I could expect the updated version. When is the new version of Ubuntu due out anyway?
Guess we'll see it before the version of Openoffice.org.

When that comes out how do we upgrade? Will I have to get a new Live CD again, then remove this version of Ubuntu and install the other? How would that affect the partitions? As of right now I have the Windows XP and Ubuntu just about even as far as the spacing goes.

Would hate to just uninstall and then reinstall again.

Thanks
Tom

SuperSonic4
September 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
If OO.o makes it into the Intrepid repos then if you have OO.o 2 then you should be able to update by
sudo apt-get update

bumanie
September 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
My understanding is that it will be ported to ubuntu via normal updates - I think I read that somewhere, but can't remember the full details. Originally was hoped that it would be incorporated into intrepid. As said there are freezes for new features in new versions, but Oo is really an upgrade as was firefox 3 when it was released.

Georgia boy
September 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
You know how the updates are automatically happening with the system is that the same way that programs like OpenOffice.org,or any of the other prgrams update? Or will we have to remove the one we're using now and then go to the applications and install the new one from there?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm trying to get that straight in my mind. I'm a newbie and getting used to the way Ubuntu updates things compared to Windows. I really like about everything getting updated without having to shut down the computer and reboot all the time. Haven't been back to the Windows side in a while. Guess I should go over someday and check to see if it needs any updating.:)