PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help With First Install...

mrstimpson
September 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
:confused:

Hey Everyone! Thanks in adavance for any-help.

=My Problem=

*No Internet

I am very new to ubuntu and have just installed it using "Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows".

The installation went great but I think no graphics card drivers nor wireless card drivers installed.

I just want some help locating the right drivers and a quick 101 on how to install them.

If anyone has the same setup as me, any information on "how to" set my laptop up properly would be appreciated. Thank you!

=System=

DELL Studio 1535

Wireless Dell 370 Bluetooth Card ROW
Wireless Dell1397 (802.11 b/g) mini card**
Graphics: 256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3450**

mikewhatever
September 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
Can you post the output of the following command from Applications->Accessories->Terminal:

sudo lshw -C network

Unfortunately, Dell often uses those horrible broadcom cards with crappy Linux drivers, which I suspect may be in your case.

Have you tried connecting the cable yet? If you have access to any kind of wired internet, get connected and check the Restricted Drivers under System ->Admin->Hardware Drivers.

Tatty
September 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
A quick howto for proprietry Graphics card driver install:

First go to "System->Administration->Hardware Drivers", see if it lists a driver for your card in there, if so then click to install.

If that does not work then try using envyng. First install envyng-gtk from the repos:

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

then run envy (its in one of the applications menus), and install your driver that way.

If both of those fail then you will have to install the driver manually, which can be a little tricky with ATI, but definately do-able.

mrstimpson
September 22nd, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thank you for your replies, I am now rebooting in to ubuntu to try them out. be back in a bit to reply. Thanks

mrstimpson
September 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
mikewhatever: I tired this in the terminal "sudo -c network" and it listed "format as html, xml etc" that where I got stuck....

and

Tatty: after trying envyng it said that it could not find it!

this is not going well...its strange being completely in the dark in this OS after years of using windows and osx..

mikewhatever
September 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
mikewhatever: I tired this in the terminal "sudo -c network" and it listed "format as html, xml etc" that where I got stuck....

The 'C' in the command I posted is capital, in other words, -C, not -c, also the lshw is missing in your quote. Can you simply paste it and post the output.

Tatty, the things you suggested are good, but require an internet connection. Actually reading the OP in not a capital offense.

mrstimpson
September 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
would it be much easier because i have the dreaded internal wireless card to buy one of the those cheap usb ones for internet in ubuntu, if so does anyone recommend one that's highly compatible?

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=usb+wireless&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

this one maybe?

Edimax EW-7318USG WiFi USB Turbo Wireless Adaptor 4Dbi

pelle.k
September 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
It would seem this usb dongle is supported out of the box;
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/f/483/Office-supplies?search=bn-wd54g&other_hits=199%3Abn-wd54g%3B%3B%3B&q=bn-wd54g&ref=redirect

According this post;
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4837466&highlight=wireless+usb#post4837466