PDA

View Full Version : NM: VPN (PPTP) - Add Button disabled

Sophont
September 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
I just tried (with the live 64 bit * CD) Alpha 6 hoping that I can now use VPN again (a requirement before I can upgrade).

Most stuff seems to be at least OK. But even after I installed the PPTP package (all on live CD session) the Add buton on the NM 7.0 Tab for VPN is still disabled.

Bug #259168 ("Network Manager unable to connect to PPTP VPN") suggests that VPN via NM can be configured (then giving trouble afterwards).

What have I missed?
Or does it only (half-) work with svn version that didn't make it into Alpha 6 yet (the beug report was pre-6)?

Does anybody have PPTP VPN working via Intrepid NM?

It's still working on my Hardy installation (though suffering a bit due to the fact that I have to fix the MTU with a script after every connect because the MTU fields in NM are fake). How come it's regressed in the shiny NM 7?

p.s.
* I also tried the 32bit version - but that failed to boot. But it's the 32biut version of Hardy that I have installed on my computer and which has been working mostly fine since almost 3 years ago (about 1 year since I started using PPTP VPN with it)

leech
September 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
You have to install the network-manager vpn packages. Namely network-manager-pptp.

Leech

Sophont
September 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Second paragraph in my post says: "... after I installed the PPTP package ...".

Thanks - but I knew that and I did that.
I also mentioned that I have it running already and for quite a while on Hardy (and gutsy before that IIRC).

The VPN Tab is there right away. But even after installing the PPTP Package the Add button remains disabled.

jfernyhough
September 22nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Try adding the NM 0.7 PPA to your sources.list

## NM 0.7
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu/ intrepid main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/network-manager/ubuntu/ intrepid main

This should update the pptp packages.

Sophont
September 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Try adding the NM 0.7 PPA to your sources.list
This should update the pptp packages.

Thanks - I'll try that. Though I thought that Alpha 6 would have included this version if that works.