PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I had a system boot failure with my hard drive now the partition editor won't work

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
I am trying to reinstall ubuntu because I had a system boot failure (I don't know why) and I didn't care about any of the files, so I tried to install ubuntu again over it, but whenever I got to the partitioning part, no partitions would show up. So eventually I got fed up and connected it to my laptop via external hard drive enclosure (the hard drive is a 2.5" IDE 80 gigs) and deleted the partitions and then tried to reinstall, but it still got stuck at the partition editor. I've looked around and some people say it could be a bad burn, but all I have are dvds and I've already ruined 7 of them because I cannot get a computer to boot from my burned ubuntu dvds. (using Roxio in Vista)(I know vista sucks but I am ordering an extra hard drive right now for xp ubuntu dual boot)
Can anyone tell me how to make a dvd burned in roxio bootable?
Or tell me how to fix the partition error?

LowSky
September 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
are you burning the cds as a ISO, some people make the mistake of burning a bootable CD.

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have just been burning it normally and am actually trying making it bootable right now

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
do I want to burn it as a data disc or burn image?

lisati
September 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
I have just been burning it normally and am actually trying making it bootable right now

If you have an "ISO" file, you don't "burn as normal then make bootable", you should "burn as disk image"

Pascal11110
September 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
What I meant by burning normally was burning it as a disk image, and that did not work, so then I tried burn as data disk and I tried making that bootable, but I am not sure if that worked because my motherboard just got fried by and external hard drive about 10 minutes ago.