PDA

View Full Version : [C] Goal to set for myself

TreeFinger
September 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm going to learn C programming through the book, 'The C Programming Language, 2nd Ed.'. I'd like to have a goal to set for myself (a little project or something along those lines). Anyone have some ideas of what I should be able to accomplish when I finish reading this book?

Sockerdrickan
September 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
Doom 5.

StOoZ
September 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Doom 5.

+1

also you should read the book : How to program Crysis 2 from beginning to triumph.

now seriously , just read the book , do the exercises in it (I bet it has some...) and then , when you finish , just then , think about a "project".

Calmatory
September 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
A card game simulator? A slot machine simulator?

The book won't teach you(or anyone else, for that matter) to program really, but programming(writing code and debugging it) will. :)

Start using some libraries you like. For example if you like games, learn to SDL and Fmod.

But pay attention for the standard library, knowing it will help a lot later. Also boost libraries might be interesting, as they fit everywhere. :)

StOoZ
September 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
btw , are there any known games that use SDL?

Calmatory
September 21st, 2008, 10:15 PM
btw , are there any known games that use SDL?Battle of Wesnoth, Civilization: Call to Power etc. It is not really commercially used library, more for those indie people to see images flying and rotating around with sound, threads, timers, input handling and events built-in. :)

Kadrus
September 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
btw , are there any known games that use SDL?
Yes,search around happypenguin.org,most of them are written in SDL and there are some that are considerably good.