PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Difference between CD and DVD editions

blazemore
September 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
What are the differences between the DVD and CD of Ubuntu?
Is there more software on the DVD?
Because for some reason, the KDE network manager doesnt work, but the Gnome one does.
Will using the DVD edition allow me to install the Gnome Network Manager in KDE4?

PocketDog
September 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
You can install Gnome anyway. I'm pretty sure the DVD version just has more software than the CD. The core OS is the same.

blazemore
September 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I can't install Gnome without an Internet connection. And I HATE installing Gnome Ubuntu and then KDE4 on top of it, something ALWAYS goes wrong.

PocketDog
September 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
I didn't realise you had no connection. You can install 'network-manager-gnome' straight into a KDE desktop using Adept without the need for Gnome itself. You might need to run the nm-applet for it to appear on your task bar afterwards. I've done a quick search for an actual package list on the Kubuntu CD/DVD (It'll definitely be on the Ubuntu CD) but I'm at work posting with my phone so I'm a bit crippled until I get home. Sorry I couldn't be more help

mike1234
September 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
The DVD has "everything" you need to load Ubuntu. The CD is just a stripped down version assuming that users have an Internet connection to add to it.

M.

ptn107
September 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Whether you use the CD or DVD, the same packages are installed by default. The DVD just contains a larger collection of extra packages. The Hardy Heron 8.04.1 Desktop CD and DVD both install 1104 packages by default*.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=893973

blazemore
September 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys, you've been helpful =)
To clarify, I can use the CD to install Kubuntu, then add the Ubuntu CD as a software source, and install the network manager from the command-line from that.

Alaternatively, I can use the DVD, which I probably wont do because I don't have any blank DVDs at the moment.

Is that right?

PocketDog
September 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Yep.