PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Zipping files

Polish Rifle
September 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Is there a way to zip files without making them go to Evolution Email. I actually don't have Evolution Email installed so Ubuntu won't allow me to zip files.

Mornedhel
September 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
In Nautilus (your file explorer), select the files you wish to compress, right-click and select "Create archive".

nowshining
September 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM
they get put in tar.gz format by default and get put in the /home/username directory by default...

Mornedhel
September 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Selecting ".zip" and changing the location will probably help :)

steveneddy
September 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
If it's on the Desktop, just right click, Create Archive, select destination and file type (.tar.gz, .jar, etc.)

Silent Ninja
September 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Is there a way to zip / rar files with a password so you have to use it to see / extract the files ?

I've used to do it with winzip and winrar, but I've not understood how it works on Ubuntu. I was able to extract this files but not make them.

Mornedhel
September 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
Start file-roller (the Gnome default archiving application), create a new archive, Edit > Password.

Alternatively, use zip from the command line with the -e (as Encrypt) argument.

Polish Rifle
September 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Ah yes, found it. Man, I feel like an idiot, but then again...I've never used ubuntu before. Thanks guys.

Polish Rifle
September 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Sorry for the double post.

So I zipped a folder and I checked the size and it was the same amount of MBs....

niteshifter
September 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
So I zipped a folder and I checked the size and it was the same amount of MBs....

What kind of files were in the folder? Some files - multimedia in particular - are already compressed (JPEG, JPG, MPEG, MP3, etc) and won't compress much further.

nowshining
September 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
What kind of files were in the folder? Some files - multimedia in particular - are already compressed (JPEG, JPG, MPEG, MP3, etc) and won't compress much further.

i disagree, sometimes i've had jpg files that were 1 megabyte +- when compressed it would be like 100-200 kilobyte :)

Polish Rifle
September 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
They were jpegs, and I take that back. They were 14.8 MB uncompressed, 14.6 zipped :)

So, yeah....

niteshifter
September 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
i disagree, sometimes i've had jpg files that were 1 megabyte +- when compressed it would be like 100-200 kilobyte :)

The JPEG spec allows for variable compression. Fire up The GIMP, load or create a large bitmap image (a few MB worth), save it as as JPEG - a dialog will pop up where you may set the "quality" (compression). Move the slider to the low end and save the file.

Now feed that file to zip / gzip / bzip. It won't compress much and the "compressed" file can even be larger than the original.